Question on draining down spout

Old 10-06-19, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on draining down spout

Looking to drain my down spout. Would there be a problem with digging about a 2 foot hole and putting gravel in it and just letting the down spout run into that? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-19, 10:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
How close to your foundation? A lot depends on the ground but generally it's best to get the water away from the structure.

Old 10-06-19, 11:34 AM
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
That would pretty much be a waste of time. If you don't have a ditch or gully to direct it to your best bet is right out in the yard, but, as Mark said, you don't want it close to your foundation, so want to dump it out 8-10 away from the structure. And nope, you're right, more often than not you do not see houses with long extensions like that, but that's because it's a very often overlooked aspect of protecting your home. So good for you for looking at your options. Look at how much roof area that downspout is handling though. Say it's a 1200 square feet home with a downspout at each corner. Each downspout is handling 187 gallons (more than three 55 gallon drums!), for each 1" of rainfall! So you can do the math yourself, there are 231 cubic inches in a gallon, but, regardless, no a two feet deep hole isn't going to cut it.

Old 10-06-19, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The back yard has a nice slope that flattens out in the neighbors behind yard. I'm putting a deck in and the steps will come out right about dead even with where my down spout exits. I currently have the little green extensions on there, but wanted to get rid of them and do something that looks a little better. Attached is a picture of the lay out. Please disregard the yard, had a huge water bill and got gun shy about watering and its been a dry spell here. Thank you

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-19, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
You could dig a trench and have the downspout water exit further down the yard, maybe dress the opening up with rock/gravel.

Your lawn looks better than mine, we've only had about a 1/4" of rain in over a month.