Wood Shingle Options

Old 10-15-19, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wood Shingle Options

I need a new roof on my 1927 storybook. It has a layer of old asphalt shingles over the original wood shingles. Will need all new decking, ventilation, trim, fascia boards - it's a big job.

First, where can I go to see all of the roof material options in person? It's hard to make a choice just by looking at pics online.

And lastly, I'd like to explore going back to wood shingles - is that a bad idea? What options do I have here?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-19, 01:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
asphalt shingles over the original wood shingles
That must be interesting.

Try a home improvement center first. Then try a lumber yard,
Reach out to some local roofing contractors too for input.

Old 10-15-19, 06:00 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
I have reroofed a few like that, asphalt over wood, and can tell you that you are in for some work. No, a lot of work. Not to mention a few tattered pairs of pants, possibly a new pair of boots, and a bit of Bactine because those old nails for the wood shingles work their way up and raise havoc with the body and wardrobe. And typically, at least of the ones I have seen, the sheathing for the wood shingles was gapped, so unless someone laid plywood before they put the new shingles on you'll probably find that a lot of the nails for the newer shingles are barely holding on. To steal a line from Norm on this site, and not that I would go that way, but if you're thinking of wood shingles you might want to see if you have an Amish community in your vicinity because that would be right up their alley. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of work.

Old 10-15-19, 06:04 AM
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
The labour cost to install them will be high.

Also you want to make sure that the contractor has plenty of experience installing them.
You do not want your roof to be their learning experience.

Old 10-15-19, 11:01 PM
Here's a pic of the underside of my roof from the attic. This was the original 1927 roof. There is now one layer of old asphalt shingles above it.

Attached Images  
Old 10-16-19, 08:30 AM
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
They do make metal roofs that look like shakes also like slate etc.

They look OK but can they are pricey and are noisy but would give the look you want.

Old 10-16-19, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
With sufficient insulation in the attic you can barely hear the rain on a metal roof.
I do like the look of metal shingles.

Old 10-16-19, 02:31 PM
Rain isn't too much of an issue here in socal, but price is a big consideration given the steepness of the roof, size, and all of the repair work that needs to be done in conjunction.

Is there some place I can go to see the metal options in-person? Maybe a home improvement convention or something?

Old 10-16-19, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Find out who in your area sells metal roofing [other than a big box] and call them up and see if they also sell metal shingles. If they do, they probably have a few sample pieces.