Aluminum over Ice&water in valley; good idea or overkill?

Old 10-19-19, 07:49 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aluminum over Ice&water in valley; good idea or overkill?

Hello,

I'm finally getting around to re-shingling the valley where I had a leak early in the year. Actually, it hasn't leaked since then but I didn't want to take a chance that the roofing sealant that I slathered on would be sufficient to stop leaks through the winter.

There is already ice and water in the valleys that I'm going to leave down. It is well adhered. In fact, it's too well adhered. It is sticky on both sides, so pulling off the shingles has been a huge PITA. I am going to put another layer of ice&water (Grace) over the existing ice&water.

The attached picture shows the work in progress. I had hoped to just remove the bottom few feet of the valley--since the leak was isolated to the area where the two valleys meet. I wasn't able to remove the lower shingles though without destroying the shingles above due to their sticking to the ice&water. So, I'm now removing up to the ridge of that cricket.

I have seen recommendations that, as an extra safeguard, it's a good idea to put down an aluminum sheet over the ice&water.

What do you think? Is the aluminum a good idea or overkill?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: