Getting plywood onto roof

Old 10-20-19, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting plywood onto roof

So as my title suggests I need to bring some plywood sheets onto my roof so I can repair and reshingle the roof. My issue is that I'm doing this by myself with no help available. Any tips and suggestions on easy methods for doing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-19, 03:51 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
When I installed sheathing on my garage roof by myself I just laid the plywood across the ladder and slid it up as I climbed.

I wouldn't do it on a windy day though.

Old 10-20-19, 04:21 PM
Received 120 Votes on 111 Posts
Nail a piece of 2x4 across the rafters and just muscle it up there and slide into place, no real short cuts!

Old 10-20-19, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
J hooks with drilled holes in the plywood and pull it up from the roof. If it's too heavy make a winch or use pullies to halve the weight.

Old 10-21-19, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
When I installed sheathing on my garage roof by myself I just laid the plywood across the ladder and slid it up as I climbed.
That is the method I've always used if I couldn't slide the plywood up by either standing on the ground or the back of a truck.

Old 10-21-19, 05:06 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Not knowing how many "some" is in your post and assuming a single story, I suggest the following. For less than 4 sheets use the skid method with the ladder as others have suggested. For 4 or more sheets, purchase 2 pairs of metal sawhorse brackets (about $5/pair for 2x4 lumber). and make 2 sawhorses about 4 feet high. Place them perpendicular to the wall. Lift and then place the sheets of sheathing (6-8)against roof/gutter and resting on the sawhorses. Go onto the roof and lift the sheathing one sheet at a time.