Leak (on bricks of fireplace) after New Roof?

Old 10-22-19, 06:47 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Leak (on bricks of fireplace) after New Roof?

So I had a new roof installed early September. We finally got some serious rain the last few weeks. I noticed a small slow and steady leak around the fireplace interior bricks (Stone exterior). So I called the roofer ( nice young fellow with this father and crew.) He was very quick to say its the exterior mortar that may be leaking after all these years. 50+
He mentioned that the exterior needed to be waterproofed. So I added a coat of dry-lock and a bit of patching where needed. Still getting a small leak Once no leak but came back last rain. I am going to do some more dry-lock where needed then call him again if it persists. I managed to go on the roof a few times and saw that they did not cut any corners and did a good flashing job!
Any other suggestions?
PS we did have some similar leaks and some, before the new roof.

Old 10-22-19, 07:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Take a look at your chimney. Is the mortar cracked or are there gaps where water can get in? What about the top of the chimney? Is there a cap to prevent water from getting down the flue?

If your chimney flashed? Grooves or slots should be cut into the brick or stone so flashing can be inserted into the masonry for better grip and sealing.

Drylock or roofing tar, while it can stop a leak, isn't as good as proper flashing. I use a lot of it on my rental houses for repairs and it eventually hardens and cracks. There are some aluminum backed bitumen tapes that last longer if you can get a clean surface for them to stick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: