Leaking chimney in attic

Old 10-22-19, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking chimney in attic

Hi - in the last 3-4 years I have had my roof completely redone (full tearoff) and my chimney rebuilt. When I was up in the attic recently during a heavy rain, I noticed a puddle of water on the ground. It looks like it's coming from a board attached to near the top of the chimney. Is this an issue where I need to call back the roofer or is there something wrong with the chimney? This only seems to leak during heavy rains.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-19, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
It's either the cap, or a flashing problem.

Old 10-22-19, 05:31 PM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
IF, and only IF, you're comfortable going up there, post a picture of the crown on your chimney. Of maybe you can get a good zoom from the ground or from a ladder at the edge of the roof. Not that it would be conclusive without being hands on, but might reveal something. Otherwise though, a good roofer should be able to point you in the right direction in relatively short order. But, either way, as Sleeper mentioned, it's either that or the flashing. People are quick to say "my roof is leaking", but, except in the case of blatant abandon, it's the features that leak, things like flashings, chimney crowns, etc., long before the shingles.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 11-03-19, 01:04 PM
Hi - sorry for the delayed response, I have been waiting on a day to go up there and look. Here is what I found.. Could it be the hairline crack in the last picture or do you think it's still the flashing? I am trying to determine if I need to call back the roofer or the mason who originally repaired the chimney.

Thank you.

Attached Images        
Old 11-15-19, 06:27 PM
Bump - hoping someone can give me some direction based on the pics I posted. Is this a roof/flashing issue or a chimney issue?

Old 11-15-19, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
The crack in the cap isn't good. Also isn't great that the cap tapers down to the brick... that joint can potentially leak. It's always best if the cap protrudes past the brick as a drip edge. I don't think your tile flues are caulked to the cap. Silicone on the top edges of the copper isn't a great choice, if that's what it is. And there us no way for us to know if the step flashing on the sides of the chimney was done correctly... especially at the pointy end nearest the peak.

Old 11-15-19, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Best thing you could probably do is take a garden hose and a cement block up there and try to locate the leak. Start at the lowest point and spray one side at a time for 15 minutes or so. Then check in the attic. Then move to the other side. Then the front flashing near the ridge. Don't spray the bricks yet on any of these tests.

Once you rule out the flashing at the shingles, then try the top of the copper flashing around the ridge and sides. At least 15 minutes per location... it takes time for water to find its way in.

Then hose the bricks down above the ridge, getting nothing on the cap.

Lastly, soak the cap down good.

This is pretty much the only way to figure out and/or rule out where the leak is coming from.

Don't start at the top or you won't figure out a thing. Also be patient and don't hurry or you won't find out a thing.