Hard To Locate Roof Leak!!!

Old 01-01-20, 08:28 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hard To Locate Roof Leak!!!

We have an old barrel tile roof. I know it needs to be replaced. In the mean time I am having
the most difficult time locating where the water is coming in from. I've already sealed every
tile above the bedroom where it is leaking(I thought) with roof cement and painted them with waterproof roof coating. Still leaking when it rains hard.

My Question- Is it possible the water is getting BEHIND the Gutter and flowing over the Soffit into the bedroom and onto the ceiling through the crack and then dripping on the floor? I attached 2 pics to show the valley and what I think is the problem area. I would have to crawl in the attic on my belly and wait for a hard rain to locate the Leak if possible.

Thanx for the help

P.S. I have been using Wet r black roof cement on the gaps everywhere.

Attached Images   
Old 01-01-20, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Every tile over the bedroom wouldn't be enough. You'd need to go all the way to the peak and just over.
The problem with finding leaks is that the water can leak thru the roof up high, follow a joist to a low spot and then go thru the ceiling.

With that type of roof I'd doubt you could ever actually see the leaking spot in the tiles.

Old 01-01-20, 01:48 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
It appears the roof valleys are the weak spots on this roof as there is no tile. just flashing. Also in the first pic, it appears the tiles become sloped rather than run from peak to the valley draining more water than need to into the roof valley. The installed roof valley flashing would need to cover a large area because each valley of the roofing tile discharges a large and fast moving stream of water into the roof valley. The second pic confirms this roof valley is leaking as evidenced by the water damaged soffit. In my opinion, a new roof is needed

Old 01-01-20, 03:51 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
I suspect you know a new roof is needed and are looking for a short term solution. If that's the case, it's unlikely you will find the source and repair it properly. First, you may very well have 2, 3, or 4 leaks. Beyond that, there is an underlayment that protects the sheathing but which would also transport the water several feet from where the leak originates to where it's first seen. All that considered, I'd get into the attic and find a way to stop the water from getting into the living area until the roof can be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: