Replacing Florida Room Roof

Old 01-14-20, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Florida Room Roof

I've been using the forum for a couple years, but I always found the answer without needing to log in and ask, but I haven't been able to find this one.

My florida room roof is in bad shape, it leaks horribly, I have no idea how hold the aluminum is but I've been in the house 5 years this June.

I want to rip it out and replace it with a new insulated aluminum roof, and a bar across so we can mount a fan. I haven't been able to find any videos and written out instructions on how to do it. I'm relatively capable, atleast I think I am, but i am by far no expert. I definitely prefer to see videos as I'm a visual learning.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-20, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
Do you have a question we can help with?

Old 01-14-20, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I suspect for the most part if you pay attention to how that one was installed and comes down that would answer most of your questions.

Old 01-14-20, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
I think Pilot Dane picked up on the lack of question marks in your inquiry.

Sounds to me like you need to look into completely replacing the roof, possibly using aluminum sip panels. (Like you might see on a 4 season room) They lock together and you seal joints with a roofing sealant like solar seal. Aluminum extrusions are used for the head receptor (which is installed first), rake and fascia (which are installed last). These are also sealed.with sealant as they are installed, then the edges are all topped with a self leveling roof sealant.

When you order them, you can get a beam channel for a ceiling fan. This will either be a separate beam or it will be incorporated into one panel especially for your fan. The electrical can be run out the head receptor and down the hollow beam channel as the roof is assembled, or you can surface mount it using wiremold.

The panels themselves can arrive cut to length, including any overhang you would like, provided you order them that way. Or you can just get a standard size and cut them with a skilsaw.

If you wanted to google Instructions or look for videos start searching for diy sip roof or sip sunroom roof... something like that. You could also just go visit with a business that sells and installs sunrooms, and just make it clear you want to DIY. They will likely be glad to sell you a kit. When I was still building those types of rooms, we used panels from Mason Corporation, they are based in Alabama but have dealers all over. There are a lot of similar companies out there too.

Old 01-15-20, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I typically do my posting in the morning while having coffee. I reread this and it looks like a lot of rambling that will teach me to post here without coffee🤣.

That's very helpful xsleeper. Sounds fairly straightforward, I"m sure I'll be back with some actual questions.