exterior caulk advice and recommendations

Old 01-16-20, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
exterior caulk advice and recommendations

Hi folks,
I'm looking for some advice on exterior caulk for a Florida home, including recommended brands and type (latex vs silicone vs ???). I'd like to use a caulk which is long-lasting and also easy to remove for when it's time to re-caulk. Somebody I know recommended that I use silicone, but I've heard it's extremely difficult to completely remove silicone when it's time to re-caulk. Also, is latex caulk the same thing as acrylic?

I'm caulking a relatively small wooden roof-like structure which is positioned above a side entrance door. I believe this structure is called an "eyebrow" in the building profession. It is already painted using white paint, but I'm curious if it would have been better to caulk first and then paint.

I'm not a very experienced DIYer, but I have done indoor caulking (bathtubs).

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-20, 01:44 PM
Received 371 Votes on 346 Posts
Two excellent brands Quad and Solar Seal.

Throw away silicon, it's krap!

Old 01-16-20, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You dont use 100% silicone on anything that will be painted, since it repels paint.

Yes, latex and acrylic are basically the same. They clean up with water... and you dont want them to freeze, so you have to have warm weather for them to stick and to cure.

Oil based caulking can be used in any weather and cure in a different manner... but one that is easy to use and easy to remove later is Vulkem. It's a great siding caulk.

It's often good to prime, then caulk, then paint... but things cant always be done in the "best" order.

There are a million choices in types of caulking, so it's understandable that you have a hard time choosing. We have a hard time recommending for the same reason. It's about like recommending one kind of fruit for someone to eat. It really comes down to what you prefer. Each caulk has pros and cons... but I think Vulkum would get 10 stars in my book. Very easy to tool... and I know how DIY'ers like to get their fingers in the caulk. LOL

Old 01-16-20, 01:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I don't know what part of fla you're in but Color Wheel Paints in Orlando sold the best latex caulk I've ever used back in the 80s.

Your better latex caulks are siliconized acrylic latex [not to be confused with pure silicone] It's always best to caulk first and then paint.

Old 01-16-20, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestions for Vulkem, Quad, and Solar Seal. I'll check the reviews on Amazon and see what the reviewers say about the pros and cons of each one. Regarding Color Wheel Paints, as far as I know they are not in my part of Florida (south). Thanks to everyone for their input.