Weeping depth ?? For drain at back of property....

Old 01-17-20, 01:45 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Weeping depth ?? For drain at back of property....

I was gonna put some weeping tile half way in my backyard to re reroute some of the water coming towards the house. As the land slops towards the house side. Also there is a big hill at the rear of the backyard so all water comes towards me .
how deep should u go with this . I'm in the northeast so winter months does freeze.....
we ve been having rain storms during the winter so I want this to still be effective

Old 01-18-20, 10:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Do you tend to see standing/running water coming down the hill? Or is the water mostly underground?

There are a few different ways to handle it, depending on how you use your backyard and where the water is.

1) Dig a trench about 2' deep, install perforated PVC pipe, and backfill with gravel up to ground level. This will capture any surface water and underground water and divert it out. But having a trench of gravel might be unsightly or not what you want on your lawn.

2) Install a few surface drains and re-slope the areas around to funnel the water towards these drains. No gravel needed. It will take any surface runoff and divert.

3) Combination of both with surface drains to capture the surface water, and a second perforated pipe underground to capture underground water running.

In any of these cases, you'll need to figure out the slope and drains so water doesn't collect in the pipes and just runs out to open air away from the house.

If you want to sketch out the property and post it here, I'm sure others will have suggestions too!

Old 01-18-20, 10:52 AM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I
ii dont want gravel visible. Surface drains ?? How ?? Hi how deep for just PVC pipe and not re grading land

Old 01-18-20, 02:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Is the water you are trying to intercept on the surface or moving within the soil?

Old 01-19-20, 12:15 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
[/QUOTE]1) Dig a trench about 2' deep, install perforated PVC pipe, and backfill with gravel
[QUOTE]

Sure, but cover with a few inches of dirt and grass, water will still get in, called a french drain!

Old 01-19-20, 04:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If you don't have gravel visible at the surface your drain will be limited by how quickly the water can soak into the ground. The water has to get down to the drain before it can do anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: