Roof Design

Old 03-02-20, 08:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof Design

Hey All,

I was hoping the forum could help me come up with an idea for roofing an addition onto my house. Its a rectangular house with a hip roof all around. The addition is a master bedroom/bathroom suite and a carport. I will attach some pictures and I would love to hear what people can come up with!

Thank you so much for your help!!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-20, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
So your existing ridge is centered 15' 2 1/2" from your front and back walls... your addition roof (assuming you keep the hip style) would be at the same pitch as the rest of the roof but the peak would be higher... centered 24' 2 1/2" from your front and back walls... with almost no ridge to speak of, since it's almost perfectly square, it will nearly come to a point. If I read your measurements correctly you might have a very short 4' long ridge perpendicular to your existing one. (Centered at 20' on the 40' span.)

Just picture a hip roof over that entire addition that will tie into the existing roof planes. And include matching overhang in your rafter / truss calculations.

If you dont want a hip, you could also put gable end trusses on half of it, and then stick frame a ridge (parallel to the existing one) and rafters on the half that will need to be a build over.