Drywell, how deep, how far from house? How big?

Old 04-03-20, 03:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywell, how deep, how far from house? How big?

Hello All, I am going to put in a drywell to address the water run-off from my roof. Also putting in gutters and downspouts...myself. I live in Northern Lower peninsula of Michigan so our winters here can often be 20 deg below and for extended periods (althought, last several years, winters are getting remarkably shorter).

My single storey house is 32'x32' square with 2' overhang all the way around; built into a hill. So the front is actually 2 storey - walk out basement. Roof, I believe, has a 4 12 pitch.

I want to place a drywell in the front as well as another in the back. I have purchased used corrugated pipe and drilled holes in it. One is 15" and the other is 18" diameter inside pipe. The 18" is 5' long and the 15" is 2.5' long. The front side of the house faces South and the back side North.

How far from the house does the pipe need to be? How deep does the top of the pipe need to be below the surface? How large should the hole be to accommodate the gravel? How long (deep overall) should be pipe be? 5' seems too deep to me.

Right now, where I want it to go, the 18" one in the front is 15' from the cinder block basement wall.

Soil is loamy with about 4" of hardpan and then pure sand.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-20, 11:14 PM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
No set requirements, the only dry well I had was for my sump pump, I used a 50ish gallan barrel that the top was maybe a foot below the surface.

For that it worked good, not too much water.

Connecting to gutters your going to need a huge amount of storage to collect the hardest and longest amount of rain to hold while it seeps into the ground. What you're proposing would fill up quickly then it's going to back up and overflow somewhere!

Old 04-04-20, 05:41 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, believe you are right and have saved me hours of digging and a catastrophy!