Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

2 questions - gutter to gutter drain and wood to shingle gap

Old 04-25-20, 10:12 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Question 1 (Photo 1): What I don't like of the current setup is water splashing on the fascia board nearby. I would like to have water drain directly to the lower gutter. Is there a device that holds the bottom of the downspout to the lower gutter? The distance between the two gutters is about a foot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Question 2 (Photo 2): The dormer siding is swelled where it meets the shingles. I would like to trim the bottom so that I can see the flashing. Is 1/2" to 3/4" gap excessive? By the way, what is the sheet metal at the bottom of the corner post for? Just curious.

Attached Images   

Last edited by paker; 04-25-20 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-20, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Most people want those gaps to be as small as possible for appearance sake, while siding mfg's recommend 1-2" in most cases.

The flashing on your corner post is the last piece of metal step shingle from the wall.

As for improving the spashing situation, about the only thing you could do is bend your own diverter (like a giant piece of step flashing) that is tall enough to cover the fascia and screw it to the fascia. Box store sell small amounts of coil in the aisle with shingle and flashing supplies.

Old 04-25-20, 11:44 PM
P
Thank you for the explanation. I will trim the siding sufficiently from the roof. A flashing nailed to the fascia covering the splash zone will be simpler than relocating the downspout adapter. Can I bend it just like a step flashing and glue the horizontal part to the shingle under the downspout adapter? Or even nail it to the shingle? Will the nail be the potential leak?

Old 04-26-20, 12:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
You don't want/need to fasten it to the roof. Put a bend on the bottom if you want to hook it to the shingles or screw it to the back of the gutter.

Old 04-26-20, 10:27 AM
P
Will do per your instructions. Thank you much.