Reroofing asphalt shingle roof

Old 04-29-20, 12:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reroofing asphalt shingle roof

Is it possible to put new shingles over an existing roof with shingles on it? I have an outdoor kitchen that I need to fix some roofing issues most notably I need to put stop a new drip edge and replace some of the fascia boards and while the roof is older it's still all right for the most part it just needs to have new shingles placed on it. My uncle told me that all I needed to do was buy shingles and lay them on top I just didn't know if that was possible and what I needed to avoid or try and do to make sure there were no issues. There appears to be a ridge cap vent in place and I don't know what I can do with that part.

I also need to mention that I'm having a gentleman come and replace the corners of my roof where there is considerable rot so I'm not sure if that will cause me to have to remove everything and start over.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-20, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
A lot depends on the condition of the existing shingles. You don't want to lay shingles on top of curled up shingles. Shingles aren't allowed to be more than 2 layers thick. It's generally best to just have one layer of shingles with new tar paper. That also allows you to verify the condition of the roof framing.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 04-29-20, 01:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
Yes, if you have asphalt shingles it's usually permitted to install a second layer on top. Three layers are not permitted so if you've already got two layers up there the old two layers will have to be removed.

My roofers also do general underlayment roof repairs when they are installing new shingles so I let them take care of that while they have the shingles off. It's something they do all the time so they can strip, repair and re-shingle a small+ size home all in one day.

Old 04-29-20, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
If you are putting new drip edge on, it would be pretty crappy to nail that drip edge over the old shingles. Tearing off 1 layer of shingles is easy, I dont know why people try to avoid it. Because later, when you have to tear off 2 layers, that's a bear.

You cant flash anything correctly when you put a second layer on. IMO, shingling over is just plain lazy. But yeah, people do it.

joecaption voted this post useful.