Water getting behind soffit

Old 05-07-20, 08:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water getting behind soffit

Hi all!
Water is getting underneath the soffit and leaking down on to my windows. It appears that the gutters are installed improperly and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to fix the issue! With money being tight I am hoping it can be corrected instead of removed and new product being installed.
I took a couple photos but let me know if other angles or views need to be uploaded!

https://imgur.com/a/JiSzxZM

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-20, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Water that gets behind your gutters would still be on the outside of your fascia... So im not sure that's your problem for sure.

But if you want to do a better job of flashing the back of the gutter, get some aluminum trim coil from the box store. It comes in small coils in the flashing/shingle section.

Cut it into narrow strips maybe 3" wide. Remove a couple gutter hangers, slide the strip of flashing behind the drip edge as high as it will go. Bend those tabs back down. Install the gutter hanger on top of the tab. And repeat. Lap your flashing 4" or so.

Old 05-07-20, 09:55 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
Shingles are not extended past the drip edge, water could be wicking back under between bottom of shingle and the drip edge.

Are the shingles new?

Old 05-07-20, 12:01 PM
M
Xseeper,
If I understand correctly I need something like this 10" x 25' Aluminum White Trim Coil at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444424194324.htm and will cut it thick enough that I put it behind the drip guard and it will cover the fascia that can currently be seen due to the cut outs that are bent up for the gutter hanger?

Old 05-07-20, 12:07 PM
M
Marq1,
The roof was replaced about a year or 2 before we bought the house 5 years ago so it is only 6 or 7 years old.

It appears that water does drip straight down in areas between the fascia and gutter. Other areas, the water appears to be getting in the vinyl soffit and dripping out of the vent holes.

Because the shingles do not extend past the drip edge is it safe to say the problem can't be easily corrected properly?

This is not my strong suit. I'm more of an auto repair guy so I really lack understanding of gutters and the associated materials and construction. Thanks for the information so far!

Old 05-07-20, 12:14 PM
M
Also, I was watching This Old House and one of the guys suggested putting a piece of 3/8" pressure treated filler strip between the drip guard and fascia. I'm guessing I should do that too because my drip edge is right against the inside of the gutter.

Starts at 7 minutes. https://youtu.be/5mjOEASvz4Y

Old 05-07-20, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
All you need is the flashing. Yes that is the right stuff. Pressure treated wood will eat your raw aluminum gutter so please don't do that.

If you read mfg installation instructions for shingles, the shingles can be cut flush to the drip edge or extend out a maximum 3/4". Personally I leave them 1/4" over.

If the butt end of a starter shingle was not staggered (offset) at least 6" from your first course of shingles, that would cause a leak that would get under the drip edge. Just find a butt joint on your first row above the leak.... Pop the shingle up, and look where the seam in the starter course is. They should not be lined up.

Around here it's code to have ice and water shield on the bottom to prevent leaks.