Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

I cut back shingles that were too long. Now no sealing strip

Old 05-11-20, 09:58 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thanks to advice here, I got up the courage to start cutting back the first row of shingles that blocked about half of the gutters. Interesting - the previous shingling job that came with the house when we bought it 25 years ago was also about the same too long length (that job was a 2nd layer over a previous layer. I don't know what that first layer looked like. maybe 3 different roof jobs with stupidly long shingles? I've been cleaning gutters for decades with scratched up hands as I reach in to remove leaves (even 1/2 obstructed, leaves collected quite well!). Seeing the whole gutter looks weird!

Anyway.... so I realized - cutting back that first row of shingles cuts off the sealing strip on the starter row. So that first layer can lift up.

1) Would you do something to re-seal the starter row to the first layer?
2) What would you use? Something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Karnak-1...-CTG/100257533

Just squirt between the layers? I am concerned if I use something too liquid will run a bit / drip into the gutters?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-20, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
You just want a few quarter sized dots every 8" or so. Put it high enough that it doesnt squish out. And have a rag and paint thinner handy for your hands and caulk gun. Typically, by code 2 layers of shingles is all you should have.

Old 05-11-20, 10:39 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. So that red Karnak tube would work?

And to be clear there were two layers when we bought the house and when we had the roof done a couple years ago they tore down to the sheathing