Back door canopy taking water in

Old 06-18-20, 05:59 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Back door canopy taking water in

Hey all, this is my first post! I've got a canopy above my backdoor that looks like its taking some water damage. I'm not at all a DIYer (yet), but I'd like to try fixing this myself. I got up there and I see where its coming away from the brick, but I'm not sure how to attach it back to the wall. I see that there's something white that looks like caulk or adhesive that was applied previously, any idea what that stuff is? Im assuming I can just reapply it to fix the issue. Thanks!

The back door with overhang that's taking some water damage.

The place where its coming off of the brick and some of the white adhesive.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-18-20 at 08:38 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-20, 06:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Unfortunately the only way to know how the awning is attached is to open it up a bit and look. In more modern buildings it might be anchor bolted to the building. In older structures there are pockets left in the brick where the wood structure of the awning can pass through and is nailed to the wood framing behind.

The goop you see around the perimeter is caulk from previous attempts to keep water out. The white chalky residue is "chalk" coming off of the paint as it weathers.

Since you can see it pulling away from the house you can assume that some damage has already occurred. Simply reattaching your current awning might not be the best option. It might but you have to be prepared that it could be easier to just rebuild the whole thing.

anestran voted this post useful.
Old 06-19-20, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,172 Votes on 1,087 Posts
I agree with Dane.

That canopy is falling off the wall. I'd start by removing the aluminum on the bottom. There shouldn't be too much holding it in place. Once that's off you may be able to get a better idea of what's coming loose. You may have to bend the right angle metal at the bottom to allow the underside covering to be removed.

anestran voted this post useful.