Question about metal roofs


Old 07-20-20, 07:53 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 38
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about metal roofs

I'm trying to get a small leak in a metal roof replaced, and I have a question. I have a bid from a roofing company that calls installing foam under the ridge vents to prevent wind-driven rain from getting under the cap. Would that be rigid foam or spongy foam? Does it allow air circulation? After all, that's what those vents are for, and I would not want to prevent air from circulating.

Old 07-20-20, 08:17 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,776
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
No, you would not install foam closure under a vented ridge cap.
Old 07-21-20, 03:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,916
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
IF the foam is going under the ridge vent and not making it to the opening to the attic it might be ok. I'm thinking they want to seal the gap between the bottom of the ridge vent and the roof. It's important that it doesn't close off the opening to the attic under the ridge vent.
Old 07-21-20, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 24,683
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
There are two types of foam. One is more solid and cut to fit the shape of the corrugations in the roofing. That could be installed to help prevent rain from being blown under the metal. There is also a very open mesh that you might call foam. It is installed in or under ridge vents to stop wind from blowing rain in so easily.

I have had a decades long hate, hate relationship with ridge vents. Yes, when they work they can do their job well but I've chased so many leaks that I just don't trust them. They will be fine for months but then you get a wind from a certain direction and you've got a leak you can't locate.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: