The zproblem iz the zflashing iz too short.

Old 08-03-20, 02:41 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The zproblem iz the zflashing iz too short.

Hi complete novice here. I replaced some siding on the bad side of my house and I ended up with the wrong size flashing. It is a half an inch or less too short when I added the battens and bellyband. This is between the wall vertical boards and the gable end vertical boards. It is cement board so I feel stuck. My thoughts are get an 1 1/2 inch z flash and mount on top of belly band but then what do I attach it with? Do I cut off or straighten the short one installed correctly? Do I put weep holes in the top z flashing or cut it off flush? Or any other better suggestions?

Belly band with to short flashing.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-20, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Anytime you add a z flashing it needs to be the correct width to cover the thickness of the item being covered. They make it in a wide variety of widths.

I don't know what sort of solution you are looking for, when the problem is that you used the wrong size z-flashing. The wrong one needs to be removed, and replaced with the correct size. I don't know why you would wait until you are completely finished to ask this question.

Old 08-03-20, 02:59 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. I am an idiot and

2. the problem was not obvious till the trim was added.

I am asking if there is a work around without taking the cement board down. That is all I want to know.

Old 08-03-20, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
I doubt that you're an idiot. Your spelling is excellent.

You can either try to pry the siding above the z flashing out and remove the z flashing. Or remove the trim board then cut the nails in the z flashing so that you can drop it out and replace it with a wider one. If you can't do either of those things then the answer is no... there is no work around. You would have to caulk the front of the z flashing to the trim board and monitor the caulking if it ever fails, which it eventually will. Kind of defeats the purpose of the z flashing.