flashing around skylight

Old 06-13-01, 02:08 PM
K
kjm
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
We had a home inspection done recently and one of the items noted was incorrect "frashing" (I belive that's supposed to be flashing) kit on skylight). The notes indicate "kit is for 3/12 pitch roof or greater, have roofer correct." I've been unable to get a return phone call from the home inspector to clarify the problem. I'd appreciate any clarification anyone can give on the problem; advice on what needs to be done to correct it; and what cost might be involved. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Old 06-22-01, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
SKYLIGHT FLASHING

I HAVE SKY LIGHTS ALSO . FLASHING IS THE SHEET METAL AROUNDTHE LIGHT THAT HELPS WATERPROOF IT .THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF PITCH 5/12,4/12ETC.THE POSITION OF THE LIGHT ON THE ROOF IS WHAT DETERMINES WHAT PITCH KIT TO USE. THE WRONG KIT MIGHT NOT SEAL & WEATHERPROOF PROPERLY

Old 06-22-01, 06:14 PM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
If the kit says for a 3/12 pitch or greater and he says it's wrong, you must have a very low-sloped roof. For steep roof applications the flashing is generally installed in pieces called "step flashing". On flat or lower pitched roofs it should be solid pieces on all sides.

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: