How to re-stick "peel-and-stick"?

Old 09-04-20, 07:08 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to re-stick "peel-and-stick"?

I'm using ProtectoWrap around my newly installed windows. It has been on less than a month, but is coming off in some areas.
What would you recommend to re-stick the "peel-and-stick".

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-04-20, 07:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
This is the butyl tape for sealing the nailing flanges?

It usually sticks pretty good, I would just replace, has it been in the sun too long!

SturdyNail voted this post useful.
Old 09-04-20, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I'm thinking a double sided sticky tape, the width of the part of the window it's sticking to.

Old 09-04-20, 08:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I would replace it with new. You must stick for water protection. If it's not securely stuck water can just run behind it making it useless. When applying make sure the surface is clean.

Old 09-04-20, 09:29 AM
S
Pilot Dane , I think I'd make a mess if I tried to replace it, since it is well adhered to the WRB, but is coming off in spots where it was adhered directly to the sheathing.
Shadeladie, I'm skeptical that double sided tape (at least the ones I'm familiar with) would stand up to the weather.
Marq1, yes this is butyl tape. One of my windows is almost always in the shade and the tape is coming off there.

Old 09-04-20, 10:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
You can try heating the tar side of the tape with a heat gun or torch and stick it back down.

Old 09-04-20, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Protectowrap and other flashing tapes are supposed to be rolled with a j roller to create enough of a bond for it to stick better. And surfaces must be clean which is often difficult. And it's not supposed to be left exposed to the weather forever.

If you can't get it to bond with a heat gun and J roller because it's dirty now, yes replace it. Cut off what's loose. You can always add new clean housewrap around the perimeter too.

Protectowrap also adds this bit to the end of their installation instructions:

Use housewrap tape or equivalent to seal the housewrap to the exterior of the Super Stick Building Tape. Guess that way when it fails to stick they can blame it on someone else's tape... Or the lack thereof.

Old 09-04-20, 12:26 PM
S
Thanks Pilot Dane and XSleeper .
I'll try heating the tape. I have relied on that when it was cold outside.
I do use a J-Roller.
I've watched some YouTube videos put up by HouseImprovements. He (Shannon) often uses what he refers to as a primer with his peel-and-stick. I don't know if that is specific to the kind of peel-and-stick he uses, but I haven't found anything advertised as a primer for peel-and-stick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: