installing a metal roof

Old 06-15-01, 04:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

How does one install a metal roof. They are quite popular here in our area. We currently have a shingled roof which we will tear off due to its poor condition and would like to replace it with a metal roof.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-01, 07:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You do not need to tear off the shingle roofing, if you intend to install metal roofing over it, UNLESS you suspect that there is there is rotted roof sheathing under the shingles.
You should be able to lay the metal roofing right over it.
If it has a low roof pitch, I would caulk between the overlaps.
Use metal roofing nails with rubber washers under the heads, or you will have leaks.
I'm not a pro, but that's what I have done, and would do.
Good Luck!

Old 07-05-01, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
cneff, you also may want to consider laying furring strips parralel to the ridge line across the whole roof and down every 2 or 4 feet to the bottom to secure your metal to. this will help if for some reason water gets underneath the metal it has some airflow to help the water evaporate. i also agree with old guy that you don't have to take off the old shingles to do this.

Old 07-07-01, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are several different types of metal roofs. You did not say what kind you are thinking of. There are two types which can only be installed by a pro. No information on how to do these types in available. In fact unless you are a pro, you can't even buy the material. What kind were you thinking of ?