Squirrels getting inside awning over back deck

Old 09-26-20, 06:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squirrels getting inside awning over back deck

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Complete novice here, at best.

Okay, so I was sitting in my living room reading news online earlier today when I started hearing a noise coming from the direction of my back yard. At first, I just shrugged off as something the roofers working on a neighbors' house on the next street over were doing. Got up after hearing it for a bit and went over to the wall to listen and it sounded like something was in the wall, so I went outside to listen from out there. I don’t know if awning is the correct name for it, but my back patio just has a roof on four pillars built over it, and it became clear after going outside that there is a hollow section of this awning, where the rain gutters are connected, and that there was definitely something skittering around in there. I was like, "great...I have rats inside the house's structure."

Banged on the hollow bit with the end of a broom a few times and whatever was inside started screeching at me. Kinda shepherded the squatter in one direction with a few more bangs and eventually a cute little young-looking squirrel popped out of a tiny gap at the corner where the edge of the house's roof and the awning of the patio covering meet. I never would have known the gap was there if not for this experience.

So now I let my dog out just a few minutes ago and it sounds like the squirrel is back in there again.

Now then, if the squirrel is still in there tomorrow and I can usher it out again, how do I go about sealing the opening to stop it from returning, or should I just let it stay... maybe try to catch and domesticate it? I totally could have picked the little thing up if I'd had gloves on after it darted out of the hollow earlier it was so paralyzed with fright. A pet squirrel has always been a dream of mine, especially after seeing some of the rescue squirrels people post videos of online. 😍

Anyway, the gap is very small, and I can post a picture when it’s light out tomorrow if needed.

Last edited by Barry White; 09-26-20 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-20, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The thread may get moved but not yet. You'll get a redirect.

You've got a patio cover on four posts. That sounds like it's freestanding. That usually means no connection to the house. So it's kind of hard picturing a hole.

A picture would definitely be very helpful....How-to-insert-pictures.

Barry White voted this post useful.
Old 09-27-20, 04:15 AM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Barry, welcome to the forum. Domesticating a squirrel is a bad idea for many reasons including that it's not good for the squirrel. On your main question, there are several approaches to keeping critters out. It would be best if you could provide a photo so we could recommend a targeted solution. In general, though, hardware cloth or copper mesh are usually effective.

Old 09-27-20, 10:19 AM
B
Okay, now that it's light (but starting to rain) out, here are a couple pictures.

I'm just now noticing what a sloppy job the painters did a few months ago, too. 🤨

@ Tony - I know, just messing around.

Old 09-27-20, 11:45 AM
T
I'd repair / eliminate the hole then cover the space with a piece of hardware cloth. I'm most concerned, though, with squirrels getting on your roof because eventually they'll find or create another entry. For example, is there a tree branch overhanging? See if you can figure out how they get up there and eliminate their access.

Old 09-27-20, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I have trees all around my house. Almost impossible to keep the squirrels off the roof.

Maybe cut a wedge shaped piece of wood to fill the void.
it's not really a hole..... just an open void.

Old 09-27-20, 02:20 PM
B
I'd repair / eliminate the hole
With what and how?

If we're talking what PJMax said, how would I go about determining what size the piece of wood to wedge in there should be, and how would I be able to do so accurately with the rain gutters in the way preventing me from getting a good look at exactly what I'm dealing with? Could I maybe use some sort of foam to fill the gap? It's weird that my brother-in-law (who turned the screened in patio that was into what you see above) closed in the void, as PJ called it, on the other side of the cover but not there.

As far as trees go, there's really only one branch I can see that wouldn’t be a 20’+ suicide dive for the squirrel to jump onto the roof from, but even if I were to rent or borrow a pole saw to cut it with, couldn't a squirrel still just climb up the siding, the cover's posts or some other way?

Old 09-28-20, 04:14 AM
T
couldn't a squirrel still just climb up the siding, the cover's posts or some other way?
Animals usually have a difficult time climbing up a wall onto roof because of soffits. Once up there, they can get into an attic through vents or just dig in. Stopping them begins with figuring out how they get up.

I'd repair / eliminate the hole
There's many options. All that's needed is to remove the squirrel's attraction. It may involve attaching a small piece of wood with construction adhesive or just using expandable foam. Most important is to stop the squirrel from trying. For example, if you use foam, you can use some copper mesh to block the hole then spray foam to block the hole and secure the mesh.

Not to change the subject, but it looks as though the gutter is pitched improperly in the problem area.

Old 09-28-20, 04:30 AM
B
but it looks as though the gutter is pitched improperly in the problem area.
Is this something an inexperienced person such as myself can check to see if what you say is, in fact, the case and fix? Could maybe just be a case of the angle I held the camera for the picture making it look off? I've never really noticed any standing water in them or water just running over them (unless I've let the slits in the gutter's covers get clogged and dirty), but I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot.

Last edited by Barry White; 09-28-20 at 07:29 AM.