Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Ridge cap shingles meet drp edge at 90 degree, need help to redo/fix it

Old 09-26-20, 07:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am re roofing now and get sitiuation i dont know what is correct way to fix it.

The ridge cap shingle in another part of house meet drip edge in my working part of roof at 90 degree. Never saw this before. See following photos.

I guess some guys used roofing cement and extra shingles here to fix leaking issue in the past. I think the correct way is stop ridge cap before the flash. Or better suggestions? Thanks tons.

Old 09-26-20, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,714 Upvotes on 1,538 Posts
I don't know why they didn't just cut it to butt up against the flashing and caulk it. The shingles on the other roof should hang over a little bit and it could get caulked a 2nd time.

But I'd recommend you put a new flashing over the top of that area. They have a lap joint in that drip edge and it looks like they lapped them only 1/2" or so. Not so good.

Old 09-26-20, 08:39 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Indeed. I would replace that drip edge overlap 1/2 only.

It makes sense that allows ridge cap shingles reach to flashing and caulk it.

Old 09-26-20, 11:32 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Flashing needs to be removed and tar paper and new cap shingles installed first!
No way do you want to count on just caulking to keep water out.!

Old 12-20-20, 03:35 PM
G
Has your problem been solved.? I'm a new forum member, a retired roofer with too much time on my hands. I saw some things there that could be problematic and got 2 cents worth of ideas. But i you're done already, I wish you luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: