Clear soffit vents after blowing insulation

Old 10-26-20, 05:57 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clear soffit vents after blowing insulation

Hello. We decided to blow insulation in to our attic to take it from R30 to R60. I added a few more soffit vents to be sure I had enough as we just got a new roof with ridge vent. Soffit vents are now every 3-4 feet. I only put the baffles at the soffit vents, I did not put baffles in the ridges where there is no vent. So there is a baffle every 3 or 4 ridges (14" between rafters). The insulation is done and blown in already and I am sick to my stomach that I think I did this wrong and should have put baffles between every rafter as they are connected down at the soffit by a small opening. We are in northern Ohio so condensation is probable.

I am thinking that I'll need to go back up there with a narrow 8" yard rake and claw out the blown insulation that fell down in the un baffled soffits and then with a long extension, vacuum down in there too.

Thoughts on this?

Old 10-26-20, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
In the rafter bays with no vents you usually either stuff those spaces full of fiberglass or you staple cardboard up to block them off. If you blew insulation into the soffit, yes, that isn't too good. Wind will also continue to blow insulation from one side to the other unless you block them off as I mentioned above. Rafter bays with chutes usually also need to be stuffed to close up the open space between the chute and the top plate.

Old 10-26-20, 06:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to remove some of the soffit and do the work from outside ???

Old 10-26-20, 07:03 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I wish I could do this from the outside, but the outside soffit is newly covered with vented metal soffit covering so I'd have to have them take it back down. I am thinking that I'm going to have to go back up there and vacuum out the soffits and add the baffles

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: