metal building leaks

Old 11-18-20, 04:39 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question metal building leaks

I've been trying to figure out how rain is getting into my steel-walled building. The photos show the interior of the building (bottom plate). Could the rain wick/splash up under the wall panel? I already caulked the exterior of the building where the wall exterior meets the concrete. That did slow it down.

If that is the issue, do I fill the rib 'gaps' in the wall panels with a caulk?

thanks

Rain leaks on top of the bottom plate (from below) and under the bottom plate.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-20, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Water can get into the overlap on its way down the wall by capillary action. Also, if the grade outside isn't several inches lower than the concrete inside, that's a problem. No window above, I assume?. Disintegrated screw grommets maybe.

An exterior photo would be helpful.

Old 11-18-20, 05:46 PM
I
I'll get a photo in the daylight. This leak is not coming from above the bottom plate. I poured water along the exterior--about 2 inches above the concrete. I was trying to isolate where the leak is located.

It must be capillary action. Any idea how I remedy this? thanks

Old 11-18-20, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
I will have to wait to see the exterior photos before jumping to any conclusions.

Old 11-19-20, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Yes, water splashes up. I've seen it go as high as several feet and open bottom corrugations near the ground are perfect for scooping it in.

I too am curious to see a photo from the outside. I want to see how the building is sitting on the slab. Is the metal sheeting hanging down over the slab by an inch or more? Or, does the sheeting stop at slab level. And, even worse I hope there is not slab visible/protruding beyond the sheeting.

Old 11-19-20, 08:41 AM
I
Here are some photos of the exterior. I'd like to figure out how/where to seal the ribs to prevent water from entering...if possible.

Old 11-19-20, 09:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Boy, you do have a tough building to seal up. For the bottom of the wall panels where the meet the horizontal you could use a urethane acrylic sealant/adhesive. I've had very good luck with Duo-Sil caulk. It's available in many colors so you probably can find something that matches your building. I would pressure wash the area before caulking to remove any dirt or paint chalk.

Old 11-19-20, 09:44 AM
I
Is there anything that I can fill the concave (inside) side of the wall ribs with? I once tried caulking but it was so thick that it wouldn't cure.

I thought I read somewhere that you could use epoxy to fill the ribs.

Old 11-19-20, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Also, if there is a lap joint in that bottom z flashing anywhere, water can migrate between the lapped pieces. Typically you should caulk the end of each z flashing to form a dam and set the next z flashing into the sealant.

If you have caulked the bottom of each exterior panel where it meets the z flashing, that can be counterproductive. It will act like a dam and catch any water that is already behind the siding or that is running down the lapped seams of the panels, keeping it inside, preventing it from draining.

That foundation should never have been built that way... the z flashing should have overlapped over it.

Water can also be leaking in at the window, which is why I asked if there was a window above this area. You have water stains on the 2x6 that is above your bottom plate, so it has been leaking from time to time.

Old 11-19-20, 11:02 AM
I
Yeah, I know it leaks in the window but I'm trying to isolate the lower leak and that allows more water in the building.

I sprayed water on the bottom 2" of the walls yesterday to see if I could find where the leaks are.

Old 11-19-20, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Water leaking at the window gets behind the siding and will also accumulate at the bottom if it can't drain out. The two things could be related. If you spray the bottom with a hose and it doesn't leak, that is why.

Old 11-19-20, 11:16 AM
I
I was trying to say that I did spray the bottom 2" of the wall exterior and it did leak into the building.

Old 11-19-20, 11:31 AM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
I'll wager the puddle is located where edge of that concrete foundation slopes UP from the wall, trapping water. Grind it down to have a 1/32 slope and you'll be fine.

Other option (sounds crazy) apply a big spray bottle of ScotchGuard waterproofing spray along the base.
Follow the directions. Apply at least twice.

Last edited by Hal_S; 11-19-20 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-19-20, 11:39 AM
H
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
Add a piece of 4" wide flashing along the red line, so that water running down the upper portion of the building drips onto the ground, not the foundation.