Plugging screw holes in asphalt shingle roof

Old 11-23-20, 11:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plugging screw holes in asphalt shingle roof

The previous owner of the house we bought a couple of years ago had DISH satellite TV service, and even though we don't subscribe to that, the dish itself is still on the roof. Not only is it located close to the front of the house, but it's beginning to rust and is a bit of an eyesore; so I plan to take it down. From what I can tell, the base and struts are screwed into the roof through the shingles and it looks like the installer used some sort of thick exterior caulk. My question is: is it enough to use some similar caulk to reseal it on the root surface or do I need to get underneath the shingles and patch the hole thru each layer? And what sort of caulk/sealer should be used? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-20, 04:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
Do you have any extra shingles? I've seen them use a tar/bitumen pad or silicone caulk under the bracket which sticks it in place pretty well. When you pry off the bracket part of the shingle often comes with it.

Old 11-25-20, 07:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any extra shingles. Someone suggested to me to get some aluminum flashing cut to size to place under the shingle and use roofing sealant on both sides of the metal to hold it in place, then put more sealant to close the hole in the shingle and use a bit of the shingle "grit" which has likely collected in the gutter on the sealant to help "camouflage" where the holes were. So I think I'm going to try that approach and see how that works.

Old 11-25-20, 08:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
If you try flashing, use galvanized steel instead of aluminum. The copper treatment on some algae resistant shingles is mildly corrosive to aluminum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: