Downspout Upgrade

Old 03-18-21, 12:55 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Downspout Upgrade

The existing gutter on the rear of my house overflows during sever storm events, which on occasion causes the basement to take water. The bottom/top of the gutter is 3.25" and 5.5" (approximate) and drains via a downspout that is 2.5/3.25" (approximate).

"Would it be possible to convert the downspout to a larger size to discharge the stormwater more efficiently. If so, any guidance recommendation, links, etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-18-21, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,701 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Yes. You can put 3x4 outlets in them but you may have to trim the flaps on the outlet with a tin snips so that it will sit flat in the bottom of your gutter. If you trim it just right it will be a nice friction fit requiring no fasteners... Just sealant.

Old 03-18-21, 02:07 PM
K
It wouldn't be necessary to take off the gutter, would it.

Old 03-18-21, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Depends on your skill level and what tools you have. It's probably easier if you can at least loosen part of the gutter to roll the outlet end (bottom of the gutter) away from the fascia so that you can cut it, if you only have 1 pair of tin snips... (typically the yellow handled straight snips, where you typically cut one direction in a circle.)

But you can also drill holes at all 4 corners with the correct radius spade bit to match your outlet and then just make 4 straight cuts with an oscilating tool (like Fein Multimaster) or use a pair of tight turn tin snips (right to left offset work best) to cut from the edge of each hole... hole to hole, until you have a 3x4 rectangle with radius corners. You just mark the gutter on the bottom, by holding the outlet up, centering it front to back and then trace the inside with a sharpie... then drill the corners and cut just outside that line. Doing it that way you may not have to take the gutter down, but its tricky. There are also nibblers that could easily cut it in place, but they aren't really commonly available diy tools.

The hack way of doing it is to cut an X in the bottom of the gutter and just fold tabs down. And screw your downspout to that. And I use "hack" in the derogatory sense, not in the beneficial diy sense. Its not the proper way to do it and it will often leak at the corners. Using an outlet fitting (or drop) and setting it in a bed of sealant is the correct way to do it.

Old 03-18-21, 06:00 PM
Received 18 Upvotes on 16 Posts
well, you can use larger gutters for a hard rain but the root of your basement taking water is poor drainage in that area. Your gutters need to drain to an area well away from your house, and you may need some drainage gravel built up and sloped away from the house. I also didn't see any mention of checking the slope of your gutters and that they are attached at the proper height,

Old 03-18-21, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like the root of the basement taking on water is the gutter overflowing. 3x4 downspouts drain 2x the water. Of course the other things could be an issue but were not mentioned as being a problem. So all other things could be fine as far as we know.

Old 03-19-21, 05:04 AM
M
Received 258 Upvotes on 231 Posts
First thing to check is:
Are the gutters clean?
Is the downspout clean?

Old 03-22-21, 07:50 AM
K
Thanks for all the replies, To answer some comments:

Concerning the cleaning the gutter, I clean it often but it routinely clogs due a 60 foot spruce tree (and other trees) partially overhanging the downspout. I recently put in gutter guards from Home Depot over that part of the gutter and vertical wire mesh screen over the downspout to see if that will prevent it clogging. The downspout clogging has been a big contributing factor.

The gutters overflow on the backside of the house and collected by a swale along the foundation which flows towards the corner of the house where the gutter downspout discharges to notable slope . In the past the swale was inadequate to handle the discharge due very volumes of water overflowing from a bent lip of the gutter. I recently attempted to reform the bent section and improved the swale which drains the backs side of the house and waiting for the next storm event to see if it is adequate. It looks like the downspout handles about 55' of gutter (to much I know) but I don't know that there is a good place to discharge another downspout. I couldn't really gauge the slope. I'm thinking upgrading the larger size downspout will mitigate the gutter overflow until I reroof and replace the all the gutters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: