Replacing just the ridge shingles?

Old 04-25-21, 08:46 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Replacing just the ridge shingles?

Hello again,

I'm hoping to get some input about replacing some shingles. We closed on a 3 unit apartment which was converted from a single family home 30+ years ago in December. (Original house from 1870). There were some known roof issues that were disclosed during the purchase process (mainly reported to be coming in through the area near the bathroom fan in one of the units). I got the bathroom van properly vented through the side of the house (instead of 'near' the gable vent) and the tenant then advised there was no more leaking, so I'm wondering if the original leak was related to condensation in the fan vent pipe?) In the recent rains the tenant has reported some leaking in a closet near the center of the ridge line showing through the plaster ceiling.

I was in the attic before/after closing an added blown in insulation. I didn't see anything that looked like clear signs of leaking.

I haven't done much with the roof since we just had the snow melt. I was up recently and inspected the vent boot near the bathroom fan in question. It didn't have any obvious issues but I put some roofing caulk around it and the flashing. While I was up there I took some pictures. The biggest issue on the roof seems to be the ridge cap which looks to need to be replaced.

During the home inspection the inspector seemed to think there would be 5-10 years left in most of the roof. We replaced two boilers this winter so I would like to put off replacing the whole roof for a few years if possible. When we replaced the boilers we replaced them with direct vent in the hopes of removing the chimney before replacing the roof.

I'm wondering what your thought are. If it seems worthwhile to just replace the shingles on the ridge cap (which I feel fine doing) should I plan on ripping them off, or knowing the roof will likely be replaced in <5 years should I just go over top of the ridge with another row?

Vent boot referenced in post in on lower left side of main roof.

Same ridgeline as pictured in the house exterior picture. Tenant is reporting new leak in closet under this.

The ridgeline going from the chimney to the road (can't really see much of it from the picture of the house).

Old 04-25-21, 12:25 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
My first thought is that if the ridge caps are bad the rest of the shingles also must be bad but your pictures differently. Ridge caps are only installed with 4 nails per shingle so they would be pretty easy to replace!

Old 04-25-21, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
It appears to me that there is some issue with just the ridge shingles. Looks like a possible manufacture defect.
I think replacing just the ridge is a good idea.

Old 04-25-21, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Dont be lazy, tear off the old ridge cap shingles and put new ones on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: