Building a roof over exsisting 2 story deck

Old 06-22-01, 08:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have an existing 10'x 26' deck on the rear of a daylight walk-out basement home. I would like to built a cover over 16' feet of it. I'm not sure if this would require any added foundational support or if existing deck supports would suffice. What would be required as far as construction for snow load, roof pitch, spacing between posts and joists, etc. This doesn't seem that complicated to me, am I nuts for attempting this on my own.

I'm talking about attaching 2x6's or 2x8's to existing facia (sp?) boards and added posts and a beam on the opposite end and then plywood on top and roofing material to match existing roof to finish off.

Advice anyone?

Old 06-22-01, 10:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check with your local bldg. dept. Whether or not you can attach the cover you are proposing to the facia boards or not will depend on what seismic zone you are in. (I know of no place in CA that you could do it, but there are 49 other states!!) Wind load, snow load, your existing deck and how it is constructed -- all of these things enter into the equation. But one word of caution. You say you want to match your existing roofing. If the cover you are thinking about has a pitch of less than 3/12, and your existing roofing happens to be comp., find something else to cover it with. Comp. applied at less than a 3/12 pitch will have no warranty from the mfgr., for good reason. Personally, I would look into an aluminum cover. Will cost a little more to install, but the maintenance is zero. And in 20 years, the maintenance is still zero.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: