Covering a Roof Hole

Old 06-24-21, 08:31 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covering a Roof Hole

I will be removing the chimney from this building. The building is octagonal in shape and the chimney runs through the top point of the roof. When the chimney is gone I will need to cover and seal the hole. I welcome any suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Old 06-25-21, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,766 Upvotes on 1,579 Posts
I'm a metals guy so my first thought is metal. I would measure the pitch of the roof and fabricate a copper cap. It can be completely pre-fabricated on the ground and just nailed in place after you have the pipe & flashing removed. This also has the benefit of not having to match shingles.

A more traditional method would be to remove the pipe. Then go through the fussy job of framing & sheeting to close the peak so you can shingle the peak. The new shingles vs old may be noticeable depending on the age of the roof.

skookumchuck voted this post useful.
Old 06-25-21, 05:29 AM
Received 672 Upvotes on 595 Posts
Is this meant to be a permanent removal or replacement?
If permanent I'd be curious to know why and what heating system is being substituted.

Old 06-27-21, 11:38 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The building was a wood-fired sauna but I remodeled it into an office, removing the large barrel stove. It currently has no heat source. I am installing a Cubic Mini Cub wood stove on a wall and running a smaller chimney above it. Using the current chimney would require adding angles to the pipe, which isn't a good idea with this stove.

Old 06-27-21, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,420 Upvotes on 3,066 Posts
You could probably cap what's there and don't even mess with the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: