Flat rubber roof pipe flashing

Old 07-23-21, 12:30 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Flat rubber roof pipe flashing

I have this spigot on my roof. What would the base, where the pipe meets the roof, be made of? I need to redo that. I'm pretty sure it leaks there. You can see some of the rubber already lifting, but that square base should have been tapered to prevent water sitting there. There are a bunch of pinholes in it. The pipe flashing boots I've seen at Lowes are for larger pipes.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-23-21 at 11:07 PM. Reason: resized and added 2nd pic
Old 07-23-21, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,718 Upvotes on 1,542 Posts
Hard telling. Kind of looks like it might just be a 1x2 frame with a piece of plywood on top.

Old 07-23-21, 01:36 PM
M
Yeah, I may not be able to find out until I start cutting into it. First I have to get a pipe boot.

Old 07-23-21, 11:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
That's a pitch pocket. I've installed many in years gone by. Look at the different types.
There are videos there too. I would place that just at the end of most DIY'ers skill level.

If that had leaked inside the building.... my recommendation would be to call a roofer.

Pitch pocket search

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 07-24-21, 06:16 AM
M
Why can't I put a boot over it? Or remove that and then install a boot?

Old 07-24-21, 06:27 AM
M
Here's a closeup photo.

Old 07-24-21, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
A boot over what..... the entire patch ?
I thought you said there were holes in the patch.

When you re-work a pitch pocket.... the outside piece remains where it is and you dig out the center.
You really just need to pull off that cap looking thing to get down to the sides.

The pitch pocket plate is installed at roof level (red) and covered over. That's where the leaks usually are. The hole in your roof should be the same size as the orange lines are. You should be able to leave your existing pipe where it is and push a new capped piece of pipe up next to it. If you dig out the top layer of tar..... go down to the black line and replace from there to the top as a new seal.

Old 07-24-21, 01:10 PM
M
Thanks for posting that diagram.

I know that the leak is this area, but I can't determine if the leak is from the top of the pitch pocket, the sides of the pitch pocket, or those areas of rubber sheet that have lifted. I got a piece of EPDM, big enough to cover this and more. Should I remove the lifting/bad parts of rubber and redo that?

Also, what does "replace from there to the top as a new seal" mean? What is a "new seal"? Just new tar? Or does "seal" mean a purchased part? If tar, or whatever, what should I be looking for? I don't think Lowes or HD carry that. I want to make this repair tapered if possible, so water doesn't sit there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: