Roof Design Advice

Old 09-23-21, 10:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 367 Upvotes on 327 Posts
Roof Design Advice

I'm stumped with a bit of a roof redesign and looking for suggestions.

This porch was converted to a sunroom 25 years ago. My plan is to rip out the walls and replace (bad insulation, better windows, better installed siding, etc. But the door is a problem.

The current door is 76" tall, and is right against the patio/steps. Plus, as part of this renovation, my plan is to raise the interior floor about 2" to level it off with the rest of the flooring in the house. A 74" door, or 71" door with a 3" step is probably not a great idea. So I need to raise the roof somehow.

Option 1) Replace the whole roof & joists at a shallower slope. Would probably require metal roofing, and a big project to reframe the whole roof. (It wraps around the 'right' side of the picture too). Could also maybe raise the roof the 6-8" where it ties into the 2nd floor as the flashing is rather tall. But again, a lot of work.

Option 2) I'm considering a dormer (green lines) above the door to give more height. But I'm not sure if that would look odd, nor be able to give the height required.

Option 3) Create a second roofline from the wall on the left, past the door (about 8-10'), which would have a shallower slope, but then come down and tie back into the existing roof for the rest of the way.

Option 4) ???

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: