$42k for our new roof??

Old 10-04-21, 02:59 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
$42k for our new roof??

Hi All,

We have a fairly small home 24'x32' and due to the quoted price for the new roof, I'm looking for some feedback.

What we're doing is removing the old asphalt shingles (two layers) and the old 1" rigid insulation and then we're building basically a whole new roof deck on top of the old with 2x6 framing which will then be filled with spray foam so that we'll reach R-38. Shingles will be CertainTeed Landmark. We are in northern New England.

For this work we are being quoted the following:
  • Demo/Install Asphalt Roofing: $15,000.00
  • Materials:$12,361.84
  • Insulation:$15,000.0
  • Total: $42,361.84
I realize without all the details it'll be a little hard to say for sure, but what does your gut say about this price-wise? In your experience are we being gouged or is it fair? I am slightly in shock at the price but I can say that this house definitely needs more insulation, and this is one of the few places where we can add a lot, and this should also stop our ice dam problem (at least the worst of it) so I'm happy with the thought of that. We can afford this but it is tough to stomach spending so much on this project so I'm just looking for thoughts from those of you that may have more expertise in this area.

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-04-21, 03:02 PM
Received 955 Votes on 867 Posts
we're building basically a whole new roof deck on top of the old with 2x6 framing which will then be filled with spray foam so that we'll reach R-38
Why? I've only built new so there has to be a pretty unique reason!

Insulation goes next to conditioned space if your still venting the attic your "new" insulation is doing nothing!

Old 10-04-21, 03:08 PM
P
Why? There has to be a pretty unique reason!
The main reason is that the whole home has a vaulted ceiling with nice wood and beams on the inside so there is nowhere else for the insulation to go.

Old 10-04-21, 03:10 PM
Received 955 Votes on 867 Posts
It's all in the details!

Old 10-04-21, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,535 Votes on 1,379 Posts
You didn't tell us anything about the roof area or pitch or height or style of roof or how many dormers or valleys etc, etc, which is all a factor in the price.

And spray foam is very expensive.

You should be getting several local quotes anyway because anything we might say really only applies to our locale and our personal experience... Even if you are in the business.

stickshift voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-21, 03:52 PM
P
You didn't tell us anything about the roof area or pitch or height or style of roof or how many dormers or valleys etc, etc, which is all a factor in the price
Fair point, but I don't know the pitch and otherwise it's just a regular roof aside from the hip (or whatever it's called) for the chimney. I know this isn't accurate but from the few pics I just looked at our roof pitch must be something like 9/12 or 10/12.

And spray foam is very expensive
Yes but we've gone that way because we couldn't figure another way to reach R-38 in the same amount of space. Are we missing something?

You should be getting several local quotes anyway
It's very difficult to get that done up here. We've had 3 companies come out and ghost us after reviewing our roof. Even the company we're working with also has better things to do but is doing this due to me having some leverage from another business deal we have together. We are hoping to get one more company out here but I don't have high hopes there.

Old 10-04-21, 04:05 PM
P
here's a quick photo

Old 10-04-21, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 309 Votes on 245 Posts
No help here, but if no one wants the job, that would explain the high price.

Old 10-04-21, 04:12 PM
P
No help here, but if no one wants the job, that would explain the high price.
It seems to be that way with every project up here and if you get someone you'll be lucky if they stick around. There's a lot of work and very few decent companies.

Old 10-04-21, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
Your photo didn't make it. Here are the instructions: Putting pictures in your post

Old 10-04-21, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
The photo is there.

Old 10-04-21, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, I can't see it on my laptop but I can see it on my IPhone for some reason. Not sure what that's about.

Old 10-05-21, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
I took a screenshot on my IPhone.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-05-21 at 08:43 AM. Reason: cropped/resized pic
Old 10-05-21, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,983 Votes on 2,690 Posts
I'm showing it as a private google picture. Surprised you could see it at all.

Old 10-05-21, 02:06 PM
I
Received 35 Votes on 29 Posts
My house is slightly larger than that, with a much fancier and prettier roof (no offense).
I built the roof all by myself (when I was younger).
The entire house framed and roofed cost less than your roofing estimate.

Currently, no one wants to work and lumber is expensive.
So, unless there's a compelling reason that the roof must be fixed this year, I'd wait until people get hungry enough to be willing to work. Maybe the price of materials will go down, if you are lucky.

Without competition, there's no incentive to quote a reasonable price.

Old 10-06-21, 10:00 AM
P
unless there's a compelling reason that the roof must be fixed this year
there was a compelling reason 10 years ago and we made due, we've since been trying to get this done for the past 3 years.

Old 10-06-21, 03:49 PM
P
Received 26 Votes on 22 Posts
I just had my roof redone in July. I dont know how many squares we ended up using but my house is 1900sqft with two stories and a small attic in one area. It was a 1930's build with several extension, giving it a roof with many peaks and dormers. My roofer pegged it as being in one of the more complex roofs to work on.

The job included removal of all old asphalt and install of new architectural asphalt shingles. All in (materials, labor, and disposal etc) it totaled $10,600. My roofer said that was running 15% higher than previous years due to increased material cost.

For southern new England, I found his price to be spot on after some research, if not a bit cheaper than others.

I am not sure how much of a premium you are paying due to location, but it seems that on labor and roofing material you are getting upcharged quite a bit. That said, not sure you have any other options given peoples lack of enthusiasm towards working these days.

Old 10-06-21, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Given a 10:12 pitch and 12-16" overhangs, your roof area is about 12.36 sq. So they are figuring $100 / sq for shingles which is about right. Their number for tear-off might be a little high but since you say they are reframing a new 2x6 roof with new sheathing on top of the existing roof, that explains why that number is 2x as high as a standard tear-off. It must include all the materials for roof framing, sheathing and all labor to install it. (I would get everything detailed in writing, so that it is crystal clear exactly what they are doing. That way what you THINK they quoted will be down in writing and they can't come back and change it and ask for more.)

And the spray foam quote sounds very reasonable. $15000 for 1236 sq ft of roof area That's only $12 sq ft, and for 6" of spray foam that is only about $2 sq ft. Hopefully they are quoting closed cell foam.

If you can't get a 2nd estimate I would not feel bad going with their quote. It sounds reasonable to me.

Old 10-07-21, 05:55 AM
P
funny how forums work - right when I get a reply that makes the numbers seem a bit crazy I also get a reply that makes them seem reasonable! lol. Still helpful though, thanks for sharing!

new question - are we really going to notice a difference if we reach R-38? my hope is that we'll feel warmer and that our ice dams will either be non-existent or at least no longer a problem. all that's up there now is some old 1"-1.5" rigid stuff that can't be doing all that much as it's seen better days for sure.

Old 10-07-21, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
I must have been tired last night... the materials estimate IS high, because that's $1000 per square not $100 sq. I'd call BS on that part of the estimate or at least have it refigured now that lumber and plywood prices have now come back down to earth.

I think you will notice a big difference with heat loss and ice dams, assuming they really get it to R38 and don't short-change you.

Old 10-07-21, 12:05 PM
P
Received 26 Votes on 22 Posts
I think going from no insulation to anything will make a huge difference. Plus spray foam will seal everything up nice and tight. I had a section of kitchen roof that had a leak that wet and ruined the fiberglass insulation. That area was frigid in the winter compared to the rest of the kitchen.

One more note; we decided to replace our roof after finding a leak during a kitchen renovation (our roof was near end of life too).. After investigating, I found 6+ pin holes in that section of roof. It looks like the roof was tarped after another prior leak and after repairing it, they never fixed the fastener holes. Anyway, this root part of the subroof and also the exterior plywood wall (rafter ducts channeled most the water down into the exterior wall).

I bought a 3/4" plywood sheet for the exterior wall; it costs me $90 in July. For my roofer to replace some subroof, he charged me an additional $130 (labor and material). I might be wrong but that plywood used to cost maybe $20 a sheet?? Lumber prices got insane, which is part of your inflated quote. Hopefully they are back down a bit now.

Old 10-07-21, 12:18 PM
P
the materials estimate IS high
hmm... thanks! when you say that are you considering that that includes the 2x6 framing, new trim all around, water shield, and probably something else I'm forgetting at the moment? lol.

Old 10-07-21, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Yes. Unless they are using gold leaf I'd say materials are at least 2x higher than they should be. Unless they are including foam materials in there. I assume the foam number is labor and materials. I'd just ask them to refigure it based on current prices and that you'd like to see what all that is buying.

Old 10-10-21, 04:51 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you looked at using SIPS panels.. R value could be around 22. Big improvement over current but if the rest of the house is R 13, I don't think you will notice the diff between R 22 and 39.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: