Lines on new shingles

Old 10-18-21, 09:42 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lines on new shingles

We had new Owens Corning TruDefinition®Duration® Designer shingles in Black Sable professionally installed three months ago. I have noticed this ‘line’ on the front of the house. Has anyone ever seen this before on new shingles? It runs vertical and then horizontal and then vertical. I see other vertical lines here and there as well but this is very large. I did not notice this large of a line at first install during the summer.

From a distance

Old 10-18-21, 09:47 AM
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
It looks like caulking. But that does not make sense. If the roofers used caulking it would've been black. I would send picture to Owen's and ask what is leaching out of shingles.

Old 10-18-21, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,977 Votes on 2,686 Posts
It looks like that area was pieced-in after the fact and held in place with white silicone.
Was there something there that got removed.... like a vent line ?

Old 10-18-21, 10:24 AM
C
Replies about roof lines

I will send the pictures to Owens. Thank you. The roofer has said they are coming out to look at it, but they said that 3 months ago about some other spots and we haven’t seen them yet. 😕

And no, there was nothing up there that was removed or replaced. Just a straight reroof job (on a steep roof cape cod house). When you stand and look back at the roof, there are actually several vertical white lines but this horizontal line I swear I did not see right after the roof job.

Old 10-18-21, 10:27 AM
Was any new wood replaced when roof was installed?

Old 10-18-21, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
For some reason it was pieced in. You can see the short pieces.
Not sure why they used white adhesive. Maybe they were out of black.

Old 10-18-21, 10:46 AM
C
Reply to question

No. The roofer said no wood was replaced. They had quoted us prices for if anything needed replacing once they removed the old shingles, which were about 17 year old shingles and not in bad shape, but after the job they said nothing needed to be replaced.

Old 10-18-21, 10:48 AM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
That horizontal white line looks uncannily perfectly straight. I wouldn't think anything could be that straight on architectural shingles. Even the shadow lines above and below have variation. Almost like a reflection of the adhesive strip (though that precludes the vert line).

Also, how are you snapping those pics? It looks like you're at least even with the roof line. Do you have access to binoculars to get a close up view?

Old 10-18-21, 10:49 AM
C
Pieced in…

That is good to know. I will asked them about that when they, if they, come by, as there would have been no reason to do that. Thank you.

Old 10-18-21, 11:00 AM
C
Tumble, binoculars

I am standing in the front yard and zooming in with my phone camera to take the pictures. I do have binoculars and did look at it through binoculars but couldn’t really tell what I was seeing. I’ll look again today. There are other white vertical lines here and there, and you can see from the attached picture that there are a couple spots that very close up look like the pink plastic that the shingles were wrapped in is still stuck to some of the shingles

Old 10-18-21, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Sometimes shingles will not lay down. I can understand a little bit of silicone to hold them down. I don't see the same piecing issue as in your first pictures. I do see a tear in a shingle just above and to the left of your circle. That could have used some glue. I'm not thrilled with the job on the hip roof just below the circle.

Old 10-18-21, 11:15 AM
T
If you're able to get a ladder up to the edge and take a closer picture that might help you. Set your phone for the highest resolution and do not zoom in. Take a look at the picture on a separate device.

OT: Phone cameras use digital zoom which do not add any detail (and possibly worsen the picture depending upon the phone). A desktop/laptop usually can zoom in a high res photo better than your phone screen (also depending upon your display).

Edit: Your roof deck looks a bit wavy?

Old 10-18-21, 11:17 AM
But using a white caulk? I don't buy it. That just goes against everything, even by workers who are careless. Got to be the shingles or something between the wood and shingles.

Old 10-18-21, 11:48 AM
C
Okay, so I took another look with binoculars

And it’s hard to see in the pictures, but there is a definition of shingles around that ‘line’. I’ll take another picture as suggested. I went outside and By really looking at it with binoculars, with the way the sun is hitting it, I swear I see like a tape line or tape lines. And yes, I asked about the way it was done around the porch (hip roof?) and they said that was normal, it was the way they did it. . And yes, there are some waves here and there, we have a dip in the roof evidently when it was constructed. The porch looks bumpy to me.

Taken from a distance back in July when roof was done. I do not see the line here. Just a tiny vertical line.

Old 10-18-21, 01:35 PM
T
Didn't realize you had a flatter roof in front (wasn't sure on your first set of pics). If you have the ability and a ladder, hop onto the front of the roof and walk up closer for the pic. You might be able to see whatever it is with your eye and ID it.

Don't leave us hanging on the mystery.

Old 10-18-21, 01:49 PM
Charlotte, don't do the ladder thing unless you have someone spot and hold the ladder. At this point it's not worth the risk. You don't have any leaks, so just wait and see.

Old 10-18-21, 02:50 PM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
Miss applied release strip!

Old 10-19-21, 07:49 AM
C
I’ll let everyone know

I’ll let y’all know when the roofers show up, what they say. Thank you, everyone.

Old 10-20-21, 04:32 AM
C
Update on shingle horizontal line

Roofers came out yesterday, so first off kudos to their quick customer service! They immediately saw the line, inspected it and said it was where a shingle was applied slightly too high, thus showing a small section of the nail guide strip on the shingle below. They fixed that (removed the slightly high shingle and applied new shingle from same batch of shingles left over from the original job in July, also used a heat gun as well to warm up shingle for better adherence) and also removed the couple of little pink plastic pieces stuck on other shingles. Looked over the rest of the roof. The owner was there and said he sent the same crew to look at it. He said he told them if they misplace a shingle, they’d have to fix their work. Very thorough and efficient. It was later in the afternoon by the time they left so I haven’t looked at it in the sunlight yet, but he said to call them if we saw anything else or had any other issues. Sorry so long. Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.

Old 10-20-21, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Apparently they were there for several hours which would indicate there were some problems.
It's good they came back and fixed their work.

Old 10-20-21, 12:56 PM
C
Pjmax, they actually showed up around

They actually showed up around 4:00 and left by 5:30. Sorry, the way I wrote it made it should like they were there for hours. Just over an hour. But regardless, yes, I am very pleased with their responsiveness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: