Roof Installation

Old 06-30-01, 11:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Is the plywood roofing material supposed to be installed all the way to the end of the roof rafters?

I was cleaning my gutters today and noticed that the plywood roofing stops about 2 inches from the end of my roof rafters where the facia (sp) board is nailed to the rafter ends. The gutters are nailed to the facia and the rafters. This 2 inch gap is present along the entire perimeter of my roof. The only thing covering this space are the shingles. Is this the correct way to install a roof? I am worried that if the shingles should lift due to heavy wind or something then rain water, insects, etc. could enter my attic through this 2 inch gap. Should I be worried and contact my county inspector about this? This is a new house and if the builder has installed this roof incorrectly I need to get this fixed before the builder leaves the area.

Also, I would like to install gutter guards but, in this case, I can't wedge the gutter guard under the shingles because of this 2 inch gap.

Appreciate any advice on this matter. Regards.

Old 07-01-01, 05:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes the plywood is supposed to run to the end of the rafters and cover your facia board.i have been trying to think of any reason why the builder would stop the plywood 2 inches up and cannot think of any real reason other than they started decking from the top and came up that short,didnt want to put a small piece in.as far as i can tell its not right.i would definatly get ahold of someone and have it fixed

Old 07-05-01, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
i think that there is supposed to be a 1/8th inch gap between the OSB's or plywood sheething boards. Is this gap there? this is an expansion gap to allow for expansion of the board.
the builder may not have left this gap between the boards and hence come up short at the end.
best of luck
shireesh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: