Roof : How do you fix this?

Old 04-01-22, 09:22 AM
B
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Roof : How do you fix this?

This looks like it needs to be fixed...something. It's just doesn't look right. Looking for ideas on how to fix this? I think rain running down the roof is damaging the facia.

Old 04-01-22, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd consider removing what's bad [replace if necessary] and wrap the fascia with aluminum.

Old 04-01-22, 11:03 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
With a vertical and horizontal saw cut, you can remove the damaged section of trim and scab in a new piece. This does not fix the condition causing the problem. Is the small roof parallel to the peak with some downward slope? Is the small roof rafters exposed to the atmosphere? Usually they are boxed in but here appear not as the large roof shingles continue beyond small roof edge.

Old 04-01-22, 05:01 PM
B
The small roof has a slope to the front and sideways, has a gutter at the front (just removed it to put a new one), but there's none on the side that's affected.

Old 04-01-22, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The fascia is fine. As for the giant gap between the cut end of the fascia and the roof, it looks like someone foamed the gap and then trimmed and painted the foam. The roofers should have put a dark brown step flashing behind the fascia to take up the gap. The shingles would then butt into the step flashing in front of the fascia. They also should have stepped the flashing/membrane and shingles down better in that woven valley. Looks like a great place for bats to get in.

Old 04-02-22, 11:47 PM
B
If that ain't the truth.... and it's there's a similar problem on the other side. There's a ridge that brings down rain water in a way that is wetting the soffit plywood, and/or the front gutter had a hole to drop water onto that questionable section dripping it onto a gutter below. I will put an aluminum step flashing, before installing a new gutter. But it too has dried up foam, as useful as udders on a bull. Is it possible to insert the step flashing as you described on the side in the pics? AKA what would a roofer do here?
I could install a wire mess to prevent bats etc but I still need to find a solution.
You say fascia is good. You think it can remain ok even with water running down where it butts the roof shingle? I will climb up there today to take a close look.

Old 04-03-22, 10:03 PM
B
Oops, that ebay link. Mod my edit button is gone, is it possible to remove it?

I meant to quote
Looks like a great place for bats to get in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: