Do It All Now or Wait Next Year and Do Repairs Now

Old 04-16-22, 04:00 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do It All Now or Wait Next Year and Do Repairs Now

I need a new roof, new gutters, 2 fascia board replacements along with some other exterior repairs and wanted to combine this job will a small entry porch. This would probably be considered a medium size job.

Given the way the, labor and material price/shortages are affecting business : Should I wait to next year for the complete project and just do the necessary repairs now ? I am located in NJ

Old 04-16-22, 04:22 PM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
The longer you wait the more expensive it will be and I doubt you'll get any better service then than you will in the near future. Find a contractor who can do all the roof and gutter work. I think I would separate the porch work to separate contractor. You may have to wait a year to actually have the work started. If so give a very small down payment (refundable if the company goes under) and make sure to get every detail in writing.

Old 04-17-22, 04:37 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
Go read my rant regarding lumber prices, I "assumed" everything would be back to normal this year, NOT!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/v...er-prices.html

Old 04-17-22, 08:37 AM
Received 298 Likes on 254 Posts
very small down payment (refundable if the company goes under)
If the company goes under a refund is not likely to happen. Maybe refundable if the work does not start within a set period of time or the OP decides to use another contractor is more appropriate. ​​​​​​​

Old 04-17-22, 09:37 AM
Yea, I was thinking more of an escrow type of down payment account. The money is there but can't be used until work starts.

Old 04-18-22, 10:41 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started looking contractors last Feb 2021 and I have had bad interactions except for one. I'll save the details for another thread , that's for a whole other topic. I am sure there are two sides to the story though. So far what I can tell contractors are still real busy and material supply is still tight. I've got leaks, so I need to do something soon and probably can't wait the year.

Lumber prices dipped in Aug Sept 2021 then up about 3x in March and down 2x in April, although I still see high prices at the box stores. I think they will stay high for a while.

50% down concerns me also, which was part of my gutter estimate . On a smaller job I was thinking of doing the down payment with a credit card, so if something happens I would have some recourse/credit. I have to call the cc company to verify. Harder to do on a bigger job because of the credit limitations. I am not sure if the contractors would go for a escrow account, but this would probably be best for both parties.

Last edited by edge10; 04-18-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-18-22, 01:16 PM
I would not go 1/2 down. 1/3 at best. Any contractor who is honest and worthwhile should not have a problem. After all they know where you live, but you don't know where they live.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: