Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Solar panel installation on Spanish clay tile roof - floating tile hook vs comp

Old 05-09-22, 12:28 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of dilemma trying to figure out which way to go (and company to go with) for a solar panel install. I've gotten close to a dozen quotes/opinions from solar installers and roofers. Only two of those contractors have suggested the tile hook method. The rest have all been adamant that comp out inlay is the best way to do it. My own roofer, who did an underlayment & membrane repair for the prior owners a couple years ago AND replaced a bunch of broken Spanish clay tiles, even advised that I should do a comp out.

It seems there are very obviously two camps and drastically different opinions on either method - I've heard some pros and cons to both.

At the end of the day, I just don't want for there to be any leaks in the roof!

What would you guys suggest in this case?

Old 05-09-22, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
I would suggest NOT putting solar on a roof of that type.
Many years ago I was contracted to install a dish on a roof of that type. I had placed plywood on the roof to keep from breaking tiles.... and broke two tiles. That was the first and last time I contracted to install on a tile roof. The tiles are too easily broken.

Old 05-09-22, 05:00 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course we would love to avoid it if we can but there are no viable alternatives and the cost of electricity keeps going up... we're looking at $200~ electric bills and this isn't even based on crazy usage (we average 500-600kwh per month MAX and our bills look like that!). The only way to combat this, at least currently, is by putting up solar. I don't anticipate things getting any better - our electric rates are some of the worst in the nation and we are captive to it unless we figure out other ways to mitigate it on our own dime. Also, I'm seeing more and more of my neighbors with the same style roofing putting solar panels on their roofs - some are floating and some are comp out. It seems like there might be a few more comp outs than floating.

Most companies I'm talking to are saying that for the very reason you mention, comp out is the best way to proceed to avoid tile breakage and overhead costs. One company that I'm talking to would actually go the route of removing all tiles in the area where the solar panels would be laid out plus an extra 2' around and then install composite shingles running from the top of the ridge down to the edge of the roof. The panels would be mounted on the composite directly and then the tiles would be reinstalled around the sides, "framing" the panels back in. This, they say, will avoid any breakage to tiles and result in a cleaner look. My roofer suggested doing it this way if we have to do it (he was advising us not to like you are). Another company was proposing that they would remove ALL tiles on this portion of the roof and relay it completely with composite shingles. Then proceed to install the panels where planned and reinstalling the Spanish clay tiles everywhere else around the panels.

The other company suggesting tile and hook has it written in their contract to replace any tiles they break in the work area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: