Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Water pooling in backyard/water intrusion during heavy rain

Old 05-21-22, 02:51 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand new home in south GA and we have water pooling after very large rainstorms (doesnít happen with just showers). During the worst of the storms, some water seeps through back door of garage (see pics). No water intrusion anywhere else in garage or home. We had gutters installed but they have not helped much. Anything I can do aside from regrading backyard? I have involved builder but he is not being helpful. Hoping to avoid going the legal route to get him to fix the issue so looking for other suggestions.

Old 05-21-22, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately it's no secret or mystery. The ground is not pitched down away from the house.
That could take some extensive regrading at this point.

It's a real problem if there is no lower area to send the water to.

Old 05-21-22, 04:14 PM
H
Thanks. I was afraid of that. Any idea if there is a residential code (Georgia) for how much pitch there needs to exist away from the home?

Old 05-21-22, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
It doesn't need to be much. It just can't be pitched back to the house like yours is.

Old 05-21-22, 05:24 PM
H
Thanks. Would raising the level of the mulch area that runs adjacent to the house cause water to at least run away from the house to the center of the yard? Iím most concerned with water intrusion and any damage to the foundation.

Old 05-21-22, 09:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Water needs to be diverted away from the house with gutters, downspout extensions and grading. Adding mulch is not grading.

Old 05-22-22, 07:38 AM
J
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I would be concerned about under the home. Is this a slab on grade, or raised crawl space? How long does this water remain after a storm? I live on the coast in North Carolina and we get standing water pools like this but they seep into the ground in a few hours. Nevertheless, this much water is disconcerting. I would be worried it will eventually rise enough to become a problem inside and/or underneath your home.

Old 05-22-22, 03:09 PM
H
Slab. Not a raised crawl space. The water recedes about 1-2 hours after the rain stops.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: