best way to REPAIR shingled roof ridge

Old 06-06-22, 11:03 AM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best way to REPAIR shingled roof ridge

Hello, by chance I noticed several shingles on my just 3-year-old roof ridge are damaged. See pics. I can't tell if installer made a mistake because much older ridges elsewhere on the same house look just fine.
I am 3 days from leaving on a long trip.
What's the easiest and fastest way to repair this?
Can I just glue another shingle on top of the damaged shingles without removing the damaged shingles? Or can I just fill the cracks with some kind of a glue?
I am in LA. Very harsh sun. Not a lot of rain but once in a while we get a hard drench in the winter.

Old 06-06-22, 11:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
If you are concerned I would replace the ridge shingles that are tearing. You can buy special made ridge shingles or get a bundle of matching 3 tab shingles and cut your own. Each is only held down with a couple nails so they're quick and easy to install.

Old 06-06-22, 01:33 PM
A
Many many thanks.
I am going to buy some ridge shingles right now.
- should I remove the bad shingles first or just put new ridge singles on the top of them. I ask because worried about opening a can of worms by removing old material.
- You mention nails: right now I'm not seeing any nails used on these shingles. Did they use glue of some
sort? If I use nails, should I cover the nails with glue or some kind of caulking? I ask because I've heard using exposed nails can eventually lead to leaks.

Old 06-06-22, 04:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Remove the old, damaged ones first. Don't sweat it. This is a super easy bit of shingling. If you are cutting them out of 3 tab shingles I like to do it on the ground and minimize the work up on the roof.

Shingles are laid in an order. The shingle on top covers the nails for the shingles below. In your first photo you'd go all the way to the left and start removing ridge shingles from that end. That way you will see the nails. Then you'll reinstall new shingles in the opposite direction. Then only your last shingle will have exposed nails. Those you can cover with caulk or a dab of roofing tar.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-06-22, 10:07 PM
A
Many thanks Pilot Dane!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: