New Roof - Leak Along Vent Pipe advice needed - photos

Old 06-14-22, 09:03 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Roof - Leak Along Vent Pipe advice needed - photos

Our roof is less than two years ago. In the last few months when we get heavy rain we have a water drip in the basement (see photo).
We are remodeling a shower that the Heat/AC vent runs through the same wall and looking up we can see Daylight (see Photo).
During the heavy rain, we get water dripping off of this same pipe (see Photo), BUT the vent pipe seems dry on the outside (could the water be coming down the inside of the pipe and leaking out at this spot in the photo?
Are these vent caps known to leak in heavy rain (it's the larger pipe in the photo)?
We called the roofer and he said the flashing looks good.

I could get some Henry Wet Patch, Can I use that along a Heat/AC Vent pipe?

What thoughts or advice can our give.
THANK YOU for any and all advice.

Old 06-14-22, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
In your last photo, you should caulk or mastic the top perimeter of both rain collars. The larger rain collar needs to be pushed down two or three inches before you caulk it. And what is the giant bulge in the shingles?

I would use a roof sealant like Geocel. Henry's will just be a smeary mess.

The rain collar is the round lid that acts as a drip edge, and it prevents water from getting in the gap where you are probably seeing the sunlight. If you wanted, you could slide the rain collar up, caulk the gap then slide the rain collar back down and caulk the perimeter of the pipe... all around the rain collar.

Old 06-15-22, 10:19 AM
S
Thank you XSleeper - Do you have a link to the Geocel (Amazon maybe?)
I didn't find it at Lowes or Home Depot.

The giant bulge you asked about is a type of Inflow Eave Vent - I'll post a better photo.
Plus a better image of the Vent pipe and cap.

Is that cap OK for heavy rain? I don't know if it's pushed down far enough?

Thank you again.

Old 06-15-22, 11:23 AM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
If that roof job is only 2 years old, they did a god awuful job. I would call the contractor and try to get compensation or something.
Never saw that type of roof vent in the middle of a sloped roof. New to me. What's to prevent ice backing up into it?

Old 06-15-22, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
If you're shopping at Lowes, they should have some of this in the roofing aisle.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/APOC-EverCl...ant/1000551545

Old 06-23-22, 02:20 PM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've heard drops of water inside my chimney whenever it rains, so I finally went to my roof to investigate. Sure enough, the vent pipe to my chimney was beginning to rust due to age. I've used Henry reinforcing fabric & it worked adequately.

This Henry roof sealant is easy to spread, especially in cold temperatures. You can use it use along with your Heat/AC Vent pipe. I hope it will work for you as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: