Clearing clogged downspout from the ground.

Old 06-24-22, 07:28 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clearing clogged downspout from the ground.

Has anyone tried using a drain bladder to clear a clogged downspout? The clog (produced by bird/squirrel nest) is in the "crook" of the downspout at the 2nd story roof level. I am afraid of heights, so must clear it at ground level. I have tried a snake I bought from Home Depot, but it would just fold back on itself. I also tried a leaf blower. My concern about using a bladder is that it might distort my 3 x 4 aluminum downspout or that it might somehow cause damage to the roof trim or roofing tiles if the blast is too powerful. Any advice or alternative solutions? Thanks.

Old 06-24-22, 08:28 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Repeating answer-
I've found that the leaf blower works IF you have a powerful leaf blower; gas powered or plug-in (not a battery powered one); AND the leaves are wet and form an air-tight seal.
So, I wait until a heavy rain, put on the full rain-suit, then use the blower. Probably would also work to fill the gutter with a gardenhose.

Terry a voted this post useful.
Old 06-24-22, 08:32 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
They are all assembled with 1/8" rivets, takes about 10 minutes to drill them out, take it apart and clean.

Old 06-24-22, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Do not use a drain bladder on a downspout. First, the bladder is made for round pipe not rectangular downspout pipe. And downspout connections are not water tight. Even if you get the bladder to seal the water will just leak out the seams without building enough pressure to blow out the clog. And lastly, rectangular downspout pipe cannot handle any pressure. If you got a bladder to work it would probably blow out the downspout.

You may have to get on a ladder or the roof to clear the clog. On a ladder from below you can separate the downspout sections usually held together with screws or pop rivets. Or you can try from above. I like using a section of 1/2" PEX tubing. It's stiff enough to jab and poke at the clog but flexible enough to make it through one 45° bend.

I do mine from the roof. Since it's a annual maintenance task I installed attachment points at the peak of the roof. I then use a roofer's safety kit (harness & rope) since I'm staring at a high fall onto concrete. And having the security of the harness system does wonders for your bravery. Your stomach may still cringe the first time you look over the edge but once you get accustomed to the system it takes a lot of the pucker factor out.

Or, hire someone...

Old 06-24-22, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I don't know.... I've held the hose in the downspout wrapped with a rag for a quick clog removal. The crap blew up to the gutter and then came back down. Didn't have any blowout problems.

Old 06-24-22, 07:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking the same as Pete - stuff the hose up the downspout while the water is on full.

Old 06-25-22, 03:37 AM
G
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Have you considered removing a lower section of gutter and using a 3" pellet stove chimney brush with extension rods? Borrow the rods from a friend/neighbor and purchase the brush itself from a BBS. Good luck.

Old 06-28-22, 04:56 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them.

Old 06-28-22, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
We can't wait to hear which method works for you. I'm placing a bet...

Old 06-29-22, 04:46 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I just had a 2nd story clogged gutter cleaned. I don't have a ladder that reaches plus my wife will no longer allow me to climb a ladder. It turned out that the problem was not a clogged gutter but a clogged downspout. I called a gutter cleaning company and it took them 15 minutes to fix the problem. They charged me $100. Since I didn't fall off a ladder it was worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: