Vertical white lines all over newer asphalt shingles

Old 06-27-22, 04:58 AM
C
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vertical white lines all over newer asphalt shingles

We had new Owens Corning TruDefinition®Duration®Designer shingles in Black Sable professionally installed last summer. I previously posted a question back last fall about a horizontal line that appeared on our newly installed shingles, to which it was discovered a row of shingles had been nailed too high. That issue was addressed and fixed by the roofer.

I noticed back in the fall and even more so now with the hot weather and on sunny days all of these vertical white lines on the front of the house. Has anyone ever seen this before on new shingles? On the corner overhang of the house I can see what appears to be some exposed nailing adhesive strips where maybe the edge wasn’t cut straight, but these white vertical lines are really visible when the sun hits the roof. The roofer cannot come back out until the late July to look at it, but honestly I don’t want them crawling on the roof right now in the middle of the hot summer as I already see some scuff marks on a few shingles (nothing major maybe from a ladder during installation in the middle of the hot summer last year, or maybe from when they were stored). . I may just wait until the fall when it cools down to have the roofer come back out. Anyways, I just wanted some ideas or input because it’s driving me nuts… is this just cosmetic? defective shingles;? crooked edges?

We have noticed no leaks since installation. Also, I do not see these white spots on the back of the roof but the sun doesn’t hit the back in the day like it does the front. And yes, we do have a ‘dip down’ on the corner of the roof where the rafters were installed weird, so the visual wave near the corner is structural.

Overall view from a differ angle where lines aren’t as visible

Closer view

Closer view

Old 06-27-22, 11:31 AM
C
Got a close up

Here’s a close up I just happened to notice on back shingles I could reach. Almost looks like a gauze material. Granules all seem intact.

Old 06-27-22, 12:18 PM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks to me like the granules have came off the shingles and has exposed the webbed backing of the shingle.
I would consider these shingles defective. Does this mean as the shingles age more others will do the same thing? Who knows. Talk to whomever the shingles were purchased from to see if they could get a representative of Corning out to look at them.

Old 06-27-22, 02:33 PM
C
Thank you.

I just called Owens Corning and they said they don’t accept pictures and that I needed to contact the roofer. These areas are sporadic all over the roof and now that I’ve seen the back is doing it as well, I will just have him come out and maybe try to send him a picture as well. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: