Metal roof ice damming

Old 06-27-22, 03:06 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal roof ice damming

I have a camp with a metal roof, and it includes a big dormer and subsequently a seamed “valley” (see photos). In the winter, when the camp is inaccessible, ice and snow gets backed up at the base of these valleys and causes water to back up, go underneath the seam, and leak through the ceiling. I’m going to seal up the open parts (see photos) with roofing patch. My question is- the design of the metal roof includes “humps” that cause wide openings that also need to be filled in. The roofing patch I purchased says “fill any deep joints with solid filler.” Does anyone know what they mean by “filler”?

Roof “valley”

This is one of the “humps” where water flows up into when snow and ice causes damming.

Old 06-27-22, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,468 Posts
It's a little late now, but most of your better roofing companies cover the entire roof with a high temp ice and water shield membrane before putting down the metal roof. That membrane eliminates any leaks anywhere.

Your "best" fix would be to remove the metal roofing in your valleys and apply that sort of product down the valleys.

The product you would use under the metal roofing to plug the holes is called "foam closure". That is a common profile and you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. However it is not really meant to be installed at an angle up your valleys. There is top closure (goes on top, such as at your ridge cap) and bottom closure (goes underneath, as you have pictured.)

Here is a link to an example of that product. You would loosen the screws along the bottom edges of your roofing (above the gutters) and slide the foam closure up a few inches under the metal roofing. Then screw the metal back down on top of it.

And I would not recommend you goop up the bottom edges with the "roof patch" that you purchased. IMO, that is not a good way to fix this problem.

Old 06-28-22, 09:06 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I’ll look into the foam insert route. Unfortunately the roof was put on years ago by a local guy and apparently he didn’t use ice and water shield.

Old 06-29-22, 07:19 AM
J
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
First the disclaimer, I am not a roofer nor a builder, just a DIY. This roof pitch appears too shallow for that style of metal roofing. I would guess even the unseated cabin retains enough solar gain to leak heat up the underside of this roof. This heat as well as the heat from a brown roof causes snow to melt and run down the valleys and refreeze as an ice dam. Then more water runs down to the ice and backs up under the metal. Also the snow filling the gutters could facilitate more ice dams along the eves.

I don’t see a simple solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: