Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Best series aluminum tubing for spacers under solar panels?

Old 06-27-22, 07:50 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings.

I am in the process of installing 18 200 watt solar panels, 9 on each side of the roof. With just the mounting brackets, the panels' output is about half of what it was last winter or spring when I tested them on the ground in full sunlight, just being propped up about 30 degrees and plenty of room for air in back. I need to install either 1 1/2 or 2 inch spacers between each bracket and the roof, and so far, square aluminum tubing seems to be the best option. So far I am looking at either 6061, or the less expensive option, 6063, 1/8 inch wall thickness. Would it be safe to go with the 6063 series as just a spacer, or should I stick with 6061? Is there any danger of a reaction between the roof and the aluminum spacers? If so, is anyone familiar with some double-sided tape from 3M (said to be almost as strong as glue) that would serve as a (hopefully long term) buffer layer? I have the whole array grounded. Last question: I live in eastern North Carolina, and am also concerned about the panels surviving hurricanes through the years. Am I even on the right track with this plan?

Thanks.

Old 06-27-22, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The square aluminum sounds like it could work but you'd need to put something between the spacer and the roof. If you don't.... the spacer will go right thru the roof.... especially when the roof heats up.

Typically I see a Z type bracket used. Search "go power MH-4 brackets".
Go Power MH-4

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: