Odorless construction adhesive?

Old 07-12-22, 02:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Odorless construction adhesive?

I'm trying to waterproof the area under my upstairs air conditioner in case it leaks again. Planning to glue down a piece of pond liner, but because that's where the air intake is, I want to make sure the adhesive doesn't smell.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-12-22 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added pic from A/C thread
Old 07-13-22, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I have never used a water based (no smell) adhesive on pond liner so I don't know how well it will stick. If gluing the pond liner to itself that glue does have a strong solvent smell but it goes away pretty quickly. You can also nail or screw the liner in place around the perimeter. Just put all your fasteners an inch or so up from the bottom so they are out of any water.

Old 07-13-22, 09:37 AM
R
I was leaning towards gluing it down mostly due to access issues. The larger of the two vents is about 15 inches wide. There's one on the opposite side about 12 inches wide. I wouldn't be able to get my shoulders through to get in there and screw or nail it in place. Thought my best bet was to reach in with a caulk gun from either side and run adhesive in the corners around the perimeter. But I'm open to other ideas.

Old 07-13-22, 09:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I like the glue (of some type) idea. Then you could also reach an arm in with a staple gun and let the staples hold everything in position until the glue dries. It's not going to need a lot of strength so I think almost anything could work well enough. All you really need to do is hold the sides up.

Old 07-13-22, 10:14 AM
R
A staple gun might help. Not really sure yet how far I'll be able to reach. As a backup plan, I have a soon to be seven year old son who can easily fit in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: