Is this a safe way to setup a ladder on a roof

Old 07-16-22, 12:51 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a safe way to setup a ladder on a roof

I would like to access the peak of a gable that to mount an antenna. The adjacent wall has the garage running up 2/3 of the way. The roof lines are parallel, but the peak of the garage is about 10' lower. I saw a video on youtube where a guy set the legs of a ladder on either side of the lower roof's peak. I was contemplating something similar, but couldn't convince myself it would be safe. I'm attaching a screen grab below. Does that look like a safe way to set a ladder:

Old 07-16-22, 01:06 PM
T
Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
No, though I do like what appears to be the fall harness you are wearing.

Issues:

1) Ladder on sheeting?
2) Feet are meant to dig whatever is supporting it. You'll either damage your roof, or the feet can slip easily.
3) Comp shingles can tear away under load, out goes the ladder.
4) Due to angle of roof, part of the load goes towards splaying the feet, lessening the load going down the vertical.

Speaking as someone who has a T12 in a bunch of pieces due to a work related injury of falling off a roof...don't do this.

Old 07-16-22, 01:34 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That picture was screen grabbed from a video. I was thinking of setting a ladder like that, but couldn't convince myself that it would be safe.

Old 07-16-22, 02:57 PM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
So the "safe" way would be a ladder from the ground up to 2nd story roof.

I see what your trying to do but I would not attempt, even in my younger more care free days!

Old 07-17-22, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I have set a ladder that way several times but IF you do that you want a helper to help stabilize the ladder while you are on it. How high would the ladder need to go?

A pic or two from further back showing the whole house would help us better understand your situation.

Old 07-17-22, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
That picture is a screen grab..... not the OP's actual setup
He says there is 10' between roofs.

No... not a safe a safe method unless there are two people there holding the ladder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: