Gutter on Roof Portion too Short? Water Goes Over Edge

Old 07-16-22, 08:41 PM
O
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gutter on Roof Portion too Short? Water Goes Over Edge

Hi All,

We have a gutter coming down from one roof level to another, and then it lets water out. I'm attaching a picture, but it seems like the angle that it lets the water out may be wrong, because during even just somewhat hard rains, it shoots water out so fast that it hits the gutter on that level and just shoots off over the edge (rather than going into the gutter and across to a downspout).

Is there anything I can do, like adding a short piece of gutter to angle up to the position of the viewer in the photo (i.e., from where I was standing when I took the picture)? Would that work / not work? Any reason to not do it? I'm thinking that would seem to help slow down and spread out the water so it doesn't shoot out.

Anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I know there is some leaf stuff in the gutter which needs to get cleaned; however, we've had this problem forever, even when the gutters are freshly cleaned.)

Thanks!

Old 07-17-22, 12:50 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
The volume of water creates a high flow that doesn't fall at the edge but shoots over the edge. You need to install a gutter barrier/guard on the edge of the gutter to catch.

https://www.amazon.com/Gutter-Valley...24666923&psc=1

Old 07-17-22, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
You can buy the guards like Marq1 linked. You can also easily make them out of a scrap piece of aluminum trim stock... if you have any lying around. I pop rivet them to the outer lip of the gutter and they work quite well to keep get the water into the gutter.

Old 07-18-22, 07:25 AM
W
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Use a short piece of downspout and two elbows to direct the water directly into the bottom of the gutter.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: