Economical way to waterproof a door

Old 08-01-22, 08:00 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Economical way to waterproof a door

We have a walk out basement door that sits at the bottom of a 3-steps down. Right below the door is an external sump pump. Every 5-6 years the lake we live on floods. Is there an economical way to seal the door to prevent water from coming in. I don't care if it means we can't go out the door, we never use it anyway.

I've seen flood barriers online for about $1000 that screw in. But wondering if there are are ideas on how to do it affordably? Like get a piece of aluminum and screw it into the frame then silicone seal it? It would have to stand a winter outside, too.

Old 08-02-22, 04:12 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
If not used, remove and block it.

Old 08-02-22, 05:15 AM
Received 645 Likes on 570 Posts
If you never use it you could brick or built a concrete damn around it the max height that water has ever risen. If you build it several feet away you may still have access to the door if need be.

Old 08-02-22, 06:00 AM
C
Received 267 Likes on 219 Posts
If the door is the only egress you probably shouldn't remove or seal it permanently. Have you tried sandbags? They are a very effective way of blocking water.

My cellar door has a drain just inside the door. Any water that enters there is emptied into my sump.

Old 08-03-22, 08:56 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

One of the challenges is the drainage pipe from around the house goes to the sump pump then there is a second drainage pipe that goes directly into the lake. When the lake water rises water flows up the pipe the goes into the lake and goes directly to our basement door - which sits at the bottom of a 3-step stairwell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: